Axiom Post processor

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Larry Stobbs
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark & Axiom

Axiom Post processor

Post by Larry Stobbs »

I bought a NWA HD4 extended that is a nightmare and I have requested Rockler to get the process started to return it. I see they sell the Axiom brand as well but it looks like the only post processor in Aspire is in mm instead of inches. Does Vectric have another post processor? If they don't what will happen if I use the post processor they have? This is probably the one thing I never thought about before but the CNC I have been using has post processors for both inch and metric so any explanation on this would be a help

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Axiom Post processor

Post by Adrian »

Create a copy of it and change the line that says UNITS = "MM" to UNITS = "INCHES" not forgetting to change the name next to POST_NAME as well.

Larry Stobbs
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Larry Stobbs »

Not sure I understood that, what good does it do to just change the name? the file would still be the same and I am guessing that there is a difference or the other machines wouldn't show post processors for both inch and metric

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Larry Stobbs wrote:what good does it do to just change the name?
Larry,

Adrian didn't wrote you just have to change the name. Read his post more carefully, following this procedure will solve your problem.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

Larry,
Even though the Axiom pp says mm, it will run inch programs with no problem.
...really.
I demo the Axiom at our Rockler store.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Larry Stobbs wrote:Not sure I understood that, what good does it do to just change the name? the file would still be the same and I am guessing that there is a difference or the other machines wouldn't show post processors for both inch and metric
You missed the UNITS bit and you have to change the name in the PP otherwise you'll have two with the same name in the list and not know which one is MM and which one is INCHES.

Larry Stobbs
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Larry Stobbs »

not sure what "line" I need to change, I have never had to do anything with a post processor before except to pick it out of a list in Aspire when I save a file. I have an email into vectric so maybe they can send me detailed instructions on how to do this. I have had such major issues with the HD4 not working and I am trying to figure out if the Axiom would work for me but I don't want to buy another one and find out I cant get the correct post processor. I appreciate the feedback but I don't have a clue how to modify one of those files

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

There's a guide to editing Post Procesors on the Help menu. They're just text files so you can edit them in any text editor such as Notepad, Wordpad etc. The lines you need to change are the ones I pointed out. The one that says UNITS and the one that says PSOT_NAME.

KeithF
Model of CNC Machine: Axion Pro 6

Post by KeithF »

Still cant get it to work. I changed the units to inches and the name, copied the modified file to "My PP". Used it to send code to USB. the Axion Pro6 is still operating in mm (tiny). What am I missing?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

There is ONLY ONE post processor for the Axiom. The controller ONLY runs mm. You CANNOT change the post processor to inches. It must be mm.

You can use mm or inches when coding in Aspire. Aspire will convert whatever you specify in the CAD portion of Aspire to mm in the post processor. Use the 'Axiom HHC CNC (mm) (*.mmg)' and you will be golden. The Axiom controller knows nothing about Imperial measurement.

wateague
Model of CNC Machine: 1. Shark HD 2. Axiom Elite

Post by wateague »

You run the Vectric or Aspire in inches then it saves it in metric when you save the file. But everything on the machine is metric.