Make A Stand

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
oddcoach
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: Make A Stand

Post by oddcoach »

Hello I was at the user meeting and liked the standing desk. Here is my version of it. I used 1 5'x5'x3/4" sheet of Baltic birch ply. A piece of Padauk I had in the shop and a 3/4" aluminum rod. You could use a wooden broom handle in its place.I used a sliding dovetail to keep the parts together and make the sliding mechanism. I used a piece of padauk for that. there is a small Padauk pin that slides in to hold the top at whatever height you want. If I was going to do it again I would have taken more time and made a ratchet mechanism for that. I used a nice little program from http://woodgears.ca/gear/ to make the gears. I think it was $25 and is pretty cool
Attachments
STANDING DESK (1)sm.JPG
STANDING DESK (2)sm.JPG
STANDING DESK (3)sm.JPG
STANDING DESK (4)sm.JPG
STANDING DESK (5)sm.JPG
STANDING DESK (6)sm.JPG

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Make A Stand

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Nifty. Thanks.

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: xxx

Post by Stephanie Downing »

oddcoach wrote:Hello I was at the user meeting and liked the standing desk. Here is my version of it. I used 1 5'x5'x3/4" sheet of Baltic birch ply. A piece of Padauk I had in the shop and a 3/4" aluminum rod. You could use a wooden broom handle in its place.I used a sliding dovetail to keep the parts together and make the sliding mechanism. I used a piece of padauk for that. there is a small Padauk pin that slides in to hold the top at whatever height you want. If I was going to do it again I would have taken more time and made a ratchet mechanism for that. I used a nice little program from http://woodgears.ca/gear/ to make the gears. I think it was $25 and is pretty cool
Thanks for sharing.

This design is very cool. What was the total cost of making the stand with all of your chosen components?

It would be great if we could showcase this version of the stand at our upcoming User Group Meeting in Chicago??

Great work on this!

oddcoach
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by oddcoach »

Hi Stephanie
I spent $45 on the sheet of plywood about $10 worth of Padauk and $10 on the aluminum rod total about $65. I think I spent about 4-5 hrs from start to finish. We are going to make some more of them for our new classroom here at Nextfab
Thanks
John

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

After reviewing and researching this project I found that it was rather expensive for the average layman to make this free project. All the aluminum parts makes it rather cost prohibitive.
So I decided to look into seeing if I could build it in a more cost effective way.
20180718_215034.jpg
20180718_215201.jpg
For the slides I am using 2 - 24" miter slides without pre-drilled holes (cost about $20.00) drilled holes using my CNC machine which seemed to work very well in both instances!
20180719_123300.jpg
Cross Support Members I am using 2" by 4" at present --- but may be re-thinking this due to appearance!

Have feet which I had taken off of several tables that I had purchased from Rockler.com which were replaced with wheels. I will be using these feet for the bottom.
20180719_131105.jpg
I will post photos of my finished version of the standing desk here when it is completed.

Approximate total cost to make $70.00 :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

standing desk 7.jpg
After adding Adjustable Feet
standing desk 8.jpg
After adding/securing desk top

All that is left is to sync the gears, secure them into place and then dis-assemble for the final finishing (sanding, stain, clear coat/poly coat, etc...) I also need to make the stop/locking pin to keep desktop locked into position.

*** Note: Still undecided with the 2" by 4" cross members -- just a thought --- I may just box them in with 1/8" birch ply

Any ideas out there

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Revised total build material cost

4' by 8' by 3/4" Birch plywood Home Depot $53.98

2" by 4" by 96" Stud Home Depot $3.64

1/2" by 36" Dowel Home Depot $1.72

Miter T-Track with T-Bar Amazon.com $34.99

Weld Nut Leg Levelers 4pk Amazon.com $15.99
------
Total $110.32 plus shipping and taxes (Approx total out to about $125.00)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554