Creating a bounding box

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Creating a bounding box

Post by mtylerfl »

I've used it a couple times for a visual/dimensional layout reference. Was trying to recall a specific example what project(s) I used it for, but cannot. I've used it so seldom, I had even forgotten about the Square Around Gadget when replying earlier in this post!

Nevertheless, I think it seems logical to add a "square around" option to the Vector Boundary feature if it's not too much trouble and time to do.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

RoslinM

Post by RoslinM »

I have made the Create Rectangle form have two features to help create bounding box geometry which will hopefully be in the next release:

1) Usually, if you open the Create Rectangle form with a rectangle selected, the form is set to edit that rectangle.
New behaviour: if you open the Create Rectangle form with a selection (which may contain multiple objects) the form will have its properties set to the bounding box of that selection so you just click the Create button if that's what you wanted. The selection will be cleared in case that wasn't what you wanted.

2) Usually you'd shift+click a rectangle to edit it. If you shift+click something that isn't a rectangle, the tool will draw the bounding box. This will only work for single objects; to do the equivalent of boxing multiple objects, they'd have to be grouped first.

Note that single horizontal or vertical lines are ignored because they'd result in a zero height or width rectangle.

I'm hoping to figure out an algorithm to do something similar with the create ellipse tool that would create the smallest axially aligned ellipse that encloses the selection. This could then be offset to give the job an elliptical border with a consistent margin...

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, Roslin! I like your idea about the ellipse boundary around selected objects, if you're able to figure that out too.

Thanks again!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC