Two Side Jobs and Scaling

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
savoylen
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot 2418

Two Side Jobs and Scaling

Post by savoylen »

I'm teacher using Aspire 9 with my class to make CO2 cars (two-sided machining) for a STEM competition called "F1 in Schools"
http://www.f1inschools.com

They create their files in Inventor Pro and we import them as STL files. When we import the model it makes both sides (lets call them "top" and "Bottom").
Bottom
Bottom
When I make the toolpaths, everything looks great in the software but when we carve them out, one side is scaled a bit smaller than the other, 'just enough' to be noticable. Anyone else run into this problem with Aspire 9? Tips on how to be sure both sides of the job are the same scale is greatly appreciated!

BTY This is what an F1iS car looks like at the end.
F1iS
F1iS
Thanks! Les Williams - Parkview High School

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Two Side Jobs and Scaling

Post by garylmast »

If you have Aspire V9, set it as a double sided in the job setup. It would also be advisable to look at the tutorial.

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=92

Doing it as single side setup and machining the top and bottom, you could double check to see if the scale was changed using the size setup under Transform Objects.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

savoylen

Post by savoylen »

Thanks for the help.

Yep... Been through the tutorial and we've followed that process closely. We set it up as a two-sided job and Aspire makes the Top and Bottom side. When we get to the step when you view the toolpaths they seem to match up perfectly. BUT when we mill them, it is obvious that the scaling is off on one side.

The only different between what we do and the videos is that our jobs have to be flush with the right side and we use a jig for the hold-down.

- Les

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

The only different between what we do and the videos is that our jobs have to be flush with the right side and we use a jig for the hold-down
I've done quite a few double-sided projects how and a couple things I do that make things easier are:

1. I set the material in a jig instead of using pegs.

2. So the material sits in the jig perfectly, I will 'square-up' all sides, sometimes making it slightly different size then what was used in the job setup. (Which seems always the case if I have glued-up the material) For that reason, I will center the datum rather than using the corner as shown in the video.

3. Make sure the model position is centered in the material (under material setup). My personal preference is using the Material Surface for the Z-Zero in case the material is slightly thinner different from the job setup.

Gary

savoylen

Post by savoylen »

Thanks Gary... great suggestions.

The use of the jig is really working for us.
We discovered the center in material option early on - so our Top/Bottom Symmetry is good - its just the scaling it sets up for us is off on the actual cut that is off.
Twoside Preview
Twoside Preview