Scooped chair seat - Maloof style

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lostcreekwoodworking
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Precision AR8 Pro

Re: Scooped chair seat - Maloof style

Post by lostcreekwoodworking »

This might be an old thread but I will try.

I am using VCarve Pro so it looks like I will need Aspire to complete this tool path. I build 10+ Maloof rockers a year so being able to use my CNC to carve them is a back saver. Can I use the free trial of Aspire to run this tool path? If so what bits are you using?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You cannot use the free trial of Aspire to make a toolpath that you can use on your machine. However, in VCarve, you can draw closely spaced lines and then use the fluting toolpath to make the scoop. It will be a challenge if the scoop is to be sloped front to back.

Here's an example of how it might be done. Note that the vectors go 1" past the center so the center ridge ends up below the material surface. Also note that the surface is cut with an end mill, not a ball end. an end mill produces a smoother surface.
Chair seat.PNG
Chair seat fluted sample.crv
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 452 times
Give me a call at 425 two sevendyone 1074 to discuss other options.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

lostcreekwoodworking
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Precision AR8 Pro

Post by lostcreekwoodworking »

Until I can afford the Aspire upgrade I think the fluting toolpath will work. If I can get the bulk of the carving done with the CNC that is a win in my book.

sbouloc
Model of CNC Machine: X Carve

Post by sbouloc »

zeeway wrote:Okay, I finally got brave enough to try a Maloof seat from the walnut glueup I prepared.
Hello, very nice. How long did it take to carve the seat?

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

FixitMike wrote:You cannot use the free trial of Aspire to make a toolpath that you can use on your machine. However, in VCarve, you can draw closely spaced lines and then use the fluting toolpath to make the scoop. It will be a challenge if the scoop is to be sloped front to back.

Here's an example of how it might be done. Note that the vectors go 1" past the center so the center ridge ends up below the material surface. Also note that the surface is cut with an end mill, not a ball end. an end mill produces a smoother surface.
The attachment Chair seat.PNG is no longer available
The attachment Chair seat fluted sample.crv is no longer available
Give me a call at 425 two sevendyone 1074 to discuss other options.
Hello FixitMIke, I recreated the carved seat in VCarve Pro by looking at your file. My carve is divided in 3 parts:

1 - the front where the legs are, which is 1/2 inch deep,
2 - the middle part, which goes from 1/2 to 1 inch deep,
3 - the back with the half-circle, which is 1 inch deep.

I made a flute carve for each line of middle part, adding 0.2 inch each time, so that I have a sloap. Is there another way to achieve this because if ever I need to make a change I have to redo each line one at a time.

Thank you.
Attachments
carved seat.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Unfortunately for those of us who would prefer to take the easy way, it usually takes quite a bit of work to get the extra special results we want. Your method is the only way I can think of doing it in VCarve.

If you get Aspire and can figure out a 2 rail sweep to get the results you want, you may find that the CNC time is increased considerably.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

I have begun to use this method and it works really well after a bit of tweaking.
FixitMike wrote: Your method is the only way I can think of doing it in VCarve.

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I have noticed that the carving time has increased drastically. I end up with 8,5 hours per seat:

Toolpath: Merged Toolpath Global
Toolpath Info
Time Estimate: 08:24:09
Toolpath Type: Create Merged Toolpath
Feed Rate: 60 inch/min
Plunge Rate: 30 inch/min
Spindle Speed: 12000
Tool InfoTool Name: End Mill (0.25 inch)
Tool Type: End Mill
Tool Number: 1
Max Cut Depth: 1"
Pass Depth: 0.125"
Stepover: 0.1"

I have an XCarve with an upgraded Z axis, so I cannot push it too hard. I am not even sure if 60 inch/min is low enough. I made a prototype and it took me around 1.5 hour to carve it by hand with a grinder.
What would be an approximate carving time if I had it designed with Aspire with proper tool path?

Thank you.

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

I am trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading to Aspire as I have a few of my chairs to build. If the carving time is much shorter, then I might go for it.

Thank you for your input.

sbouloc

Post by sbouloc »

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded Carve Pro to Aspire. Cost was an issue but I couldn't stand with the 8.5 hours carve for a seat. I did the right choice, now my carving time went down to 1 hour with a much better finish. I've got an order for 12 stools which will have the carved seat, I think it will pay for itself very soon.

Thank you FixitMike and rscrawford for the help. I had a hard time figuring out how to use the 2 rail sweep, especially for the front rounding, but I finally got it.
Attachments
carved seat.jpg

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

I have done 3 seats with v-carve, about 25min per seat(scoop and outline). Machining time is dependent on machine more than program within reason.
sbouloc wrote:I am trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading to Aspire as I have a few of my chairs to build. If the carving time is much shorter, then I might go for it.

Thank you for your input.

wdwkr53
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Extrusion

Post by wdwkr53 »

I did a 2 rail sweep that I like, but I can't figure out how to "roll" the front edge. I am sure it is another 2 rail sweep on top of the first covering the front edge, but I can't find the right profile and combination icon that works. Can someone help me out?
Attachments
Maloof seat I like before roundover.jpg

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

Use a two rail sweep but 'subtract' it from your model. This is the easiest way to get the front round over.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

rhammans
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt Gatton

Post by rhammans »

potzmannwoodshop wrote:I have begun to use this method and it works really well after a bit of tweaking.
Potzmannwoodshop -- would you be willing to share your file for the scooped seat. I need a starting point in v-carve, not really ready to make the plunge to Aspire (or more importantly, my wife isn't :wink: )

Thanks
Rick Hammans
Loveland, Colorado

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

rhammans wrote:
potzmannwoodshop wrote:I have begun to use this method and it works really well after a bit of tweaking.
Potzmannwoodshop -- would you be willing to share your file for the scooped seat. I need a starting point in v-carve, not really ready to make the plunge to Aspire (or more importantly, my wife isn't :wink: )

Thanks
Have you downloaded the file that FixitMike posted at the top of page3 ? That is a vcarve file & may offer you some help :lol: :lol: :lol: