Definitely NOT Artistic

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Definitely NOT Artistic

Post by TReischl »

I have been doing segmented turning off an on for a while now. Getting things lined up during glue up is a challenge. Slippery glue is not fun. So there I was, watching YouTube and I see a couple of guys using a chuck on their tailstocks. With Cole jaws in them to align their work pieces. Well darn! So I found the tailstock piece that allows a chuck to be mounted on the tailstock. Cost all of $30. Then I shopped cole jaws. Hmmm, did not like those prices at all. So off I went to the local scrap dealer. All he had was some 1/2 inch aluminum plate. $23 later and I was the proud owner of a 14 X 14 inch piece.

Drew up my plans and processed it thru Aspire. I quickly discovered that the hole drilling was pretty darn slow. I can do it much faster on the drill press. I don't think a drill going 10K rpm helps anything one bit. I used the program to spot drill all the drill locations. Nice and accurate. I then used a .25 end mill to do all the outer contour cuts. That worked real nice. Did a .015 DOC at 70 IPM.

After that, it was a simple matter to drill all the holes out. What was not so fun was tapping all those holes. But I got 'er done as they say around here.
Cole 1.jpg
Cole 2.jpg
I will be using the jaws as you see here for alignment. I am not real crazy about using cole jaws to hold a workpiece while turning. That is just me. I prefer to use a donut chuck so I know the piece will not come flying off. After all the hours cutting and gluing pieces having it come off at almost the last stage is very frustrating.

They are working great! I have a bowl I started gluing up and alignment is spot on. Oh, BTW, that lathe is older than I am. It was born in 1946 several years before I was.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Definitely NOT Artistic

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Slippery glue is not fun
Sprinkle some table salt on the surface with the glue before clamping. It keeps things from sliding around.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Randy, I have used that technique. It will keep the wood from sliding, but it does nothing to help center segmented pieces. This method solves that problem. I am so automated these days making segmented rings it is not even funny. When I first started I did the usual, try to set a miter gage, then fiddle, fiddle, fiddle. Glue two halves then correct them on the disc sander. Those days are long gone. Now when I want a 16 segment ring I do not even cut any test or extra pieces. Life is good!

On this particular project I am going to use the cnc to create the feature rings. Should be interesting.

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

I also do quite a bit of segmented turning and would love to hear about doing the segmented feature rings with aspire. Keep us posted please. I am not that far away from you and might consider visiting you this summer.

Joe (Cleveland, TN)

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Hello Joe, that is a pretty good hike! About 8 hours worth.

What the "plan" is for the segmented feature ring is to insert "shapes" into the segmented pieces before they are glued into a ring. I made up some vises a few years ago so I will build a simple set of jaw inserts to hold the angled pieces and then go to work on them. Then cut the shapes out of flat stock and insert. It is going to need to be fairly deep so that something is left after turning. Right now I leave about .25 extra stock for turning. So I would have to go that amount plus enough to compensate for the curvature after turning. For instance, on about a rough 7.00 diameter I would have to go about .5 deep with any inserts to guarantee they are not turned away.

Ahh, one other thing, these days I am assembling up to the feature ring, then putting it on and rough turning it to size. I am doing that so if things go wrong I can just turn the bad feature ring off and try again.