Tips to Avoid Cutting Air

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
DeepSouthCarving
Model of CNC Machine: Self Designed, Self Built

Tips to Avoid Cutting Air

Post by DeepSouthCarving »

Hello Everyone,

After spending 30 minutes typing a long and drawn out post about what I have done to save time by not cutting air, it somehow got lost when I tried to post a picture with it. So now disheartened, I will get straight to it.

Does anyone have tips to reduce the time spent cutting air between clearing paths and vcarve paths?

I have noticed while learning to machine stacked text, that I can manipulate the pass depth on the deeper passes to eliminate one pass that has already been cut with the shallow passes. This has cut down on total machining time significantly.
So I have come to realize that it is up to the user to anticipate what is coming up and adjust settings to streamline toolpaths.

Thanks for any input.

Eric
Attachments
IMG_2755.JPG

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Re: Tips to Avoid Cutting Air

Post by joeporter »

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... cks_1.html Have you seen this? And maybe this one http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... cks_3.html I think these are from the 2015 UGM projects video....joe

DeepSouthCarving

Hi Joe,

Yes, I have studied both of those videos, the second one in particular. My end results have been great, just trying to streamline the process. I guess my query is more in general and not just dealing with stacked text. I notice the cutting air issue whenever I use clearing toolpaths, and it may be more of reprogramming the way I think of the whole process than anything else. Just wondered if anyone else has figured out ways to deal with this?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Have you set the Start Depth of the Toolpath?
John
Maker of Chips

DeepSouthCarving

John, I have set the Start Depth, for the most part it would be the same on all of the toolpaths. I see where adjusting the Start Depth on the second clearing path would eliminate one "air" pass on stacked text. But for a one layered carving such as a simple greeting sign I see duplicate passes with both tools, mostly it will be the v bit cutting air where the clearing end mill has already cut.

I guess I should have started this with the question; Has anyone else seen that between clearing toolpaths and vcarve toolpaths there is significant cutting of air?

In researching this I have found that the Desktop version that I use does not have the toolpath merge function that the Pro versions have which is supposed to reduce this phenomenon.

Also it just occurred to me that I may need to really look at the parameters of each of my tools, could be some odd mismatch causing this.