Some litho nightlight examples

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Some litho nightlight examples

Post by MarkJohnston »

I like the samples of your Litho's, thanks for posting, really nice work.
Did you get the pictures from the internet and what software did you use to get them ready for running?

I ordered a couple kits from candlestone and should be in today.

Can you please tell me where you got the small vacuum pump and how its working?

Thanks for the information.

Mark

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Hi Mark,
Yes, I get most of the subjects off of the internet. Pixabay is a good source since they have descent selection of photos that are not copyright protected. Of course you can use pics of your own photos too.
For basic cropping operations I use Paint. It is good for that and it is already installed in all Windows OS versions since XP I believe. I use the default Windows photo program for basic enhancements like removing color and sharpening if need be. I have found that PhotoVCarve does not need a black and white or gray scale photo per se. It will generate a tool path with a color photo just fine in many cases.
I got the vacuum pump out of Amazon. I did not want to spend too much money in case the vacuum clamping cells didn't work so I bought an inexpensive model, $51.99, TA350 by Kozyard. I have about 100 hours on it so far and it is still performing well. At only 3.5 cfm displacement it will not keep up if the rest of the system is not pretty tight; particularly at the interface of the project piece and the seal of the cell. I will be getting a larger two stage model, same brand, when the time comes to upgrade or replace. Their customer service is pretty good.

Good luck.

johntech
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts

Post by johntech »

Can you offer some of your settings, speeds, feeds and depth of cut for making these?
Thanks

John

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

For the .25 mm radius (.5 mm diameter) tapered end mill I use 12,000 rpm, 40 ipm feed and 30 ipm plunge. For images that have less fine detail I use a .5 mm radius (1 mm diameter) tapered end mill at 9,500 rpm, 45 ipm feed and 35 ipm plunge. I use .100 to .120 for image depth depending on how much contrast I need. I leave 1 mm (.040 inch) as the minimum thickness in the lightest areas.

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

I'm trying to get some more night light kits from Candestone Gifts but they don't seem to have them on their web site anymore. Does anyone know where to get them?

I've spent a while searching the web but so far haven't found anything yet that is similar.

Thanks,
Mark

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I use these for the holders
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R ... UTF8&psc=1

And get bulbs from a dollar store, usually 4 for $1

So you got about $3 into the kit plus whatever the corian costs you.
Doug