My VCarve 8 has S-L-O-W-E-D down

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
VaderSpade
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach 1100

My VCarve 8 has S-L-O-W-E-D down

Post by VaderSpade »

Is this an Apple thing to get me to upgrade???

Anyone else experiencing this?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: My VCarve 8 has S-L-O-W-E-D down

Post by Adrian »

Nothing in the way VCarve works would cause it to slow down over time. It's going to be something else on your machine doing it such as errors on the disk, rogue programs hogging resources etc etc.

VaderSpade

Post by VaderSpade »

I have had old computers slow down over time but everything seems to slow down. This computer is just a couple years old and nothing else is slowing down. Just weird that only VCarve is slower. Just to open a new VCarve window takes a couple of minutes?????

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Only thing it might be is if you have your Clipart Tab/Local Files pointed to a folder with a large zip file or lots of small files. That wouldn't be over time though it would be a sudden and noticeable change.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Have you added a lot of Fonts lately? Believe or not that will s l o w your computer down. How much disk space do you have left on your Hard Drive and have you ever Emptied your Trash Can or did a Clean up of files? When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive? VCarve uses a lot of CPU time and all of the above can slow it down.

VaderSpade

Post by VaderSpade »

wmgeorge wrote:Have you added a lot of Fonts lately? Believe or not that will s l o w your computer down. How much disk space do you have left on your Hard Drive and have you ever Emptied your Trash Can or did a Clean up of files? When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive? VCarve uses a lot of CPU time and all of the above can slow it down.
Thanks everyone, I do think the hard drive may be getting full. I have a terabyte but my other hobby is wildlife trail camera videos and they take a lot of space. I moved some and restarted my computer and things have picked up.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaderSpade ... &flow=grid

Paul Z
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRT Alpha 96x48

Post by Paul Z »

Make sure that you have the latest patches for version 8. If I remember correctly (Which happens less and less often) ... What were we talking about??? Ah yes - slow down. Just after the release of V8 (or V7?) I found a bug that caused a 10:1 slow down in some cases on some computers. The fix was issued in one of the patches.

Paul Z

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

some other good points made were to empty your trash can & defrag your hard drive, they will also help speed things up for you, if you have a large hard drive with a lot on it then just leave it to defrag overnight :lol: :lol: :lol:

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

some other good points made were to empty your trash can & defrag your hard drive, they will also help speed things up for you, if you have a large hard drive with a lot on it then just leave it to defrag overnight :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yesterday my desktop went to a crawl and I was having the display freeze, so I decided to uninstall old software I haven't used for years and also found stuff installed I had no idea how it got there. There was obvious something running in the background, which was something I uninstalled, because now it's lightning fast again. I also set the defrag to run every night at midnight.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Be careful of where and what you download or install. A lot of "free" software also will download a program you really do not want, maybe not a virus as such but something that runs in the background like you found out.