This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Re: Problems drilling holes in cribbage board

Post by Rubiconlwb »

highpockets wrote:
Rubiconlwb wrote:
Z zero is the setting where I place the bit on top of the material? I thought I took great care to place it right on top of the material and I assured the wood was flat by running it though my thickness planer. In the screenshot you showed, I had already change the depth of cut to .5 instead of .375 in an attempt to get the holes to drill deep enough. I set the start depth at .0 which to me means the cut will begin at the material surface and go to a depth of .5", is that correct?
Here's a couple more thoughts..... It's possible that your drill bit slipped in the collect, make sure it well tightened. This may sound like a stupid question, but you do know you have to reset Z zero with each tool change?

Something else to think about, finishing the board? Your cribbage v groove border is a bit shallow, it wouldn't take much sanding to start to loose the v groove. Just a thought....
I checked the bit and it was in the collet solidly so I don't believe it moved. I did know that you need to re-zero before each toolpath and did that. As far as finishing the board and perhaps reducing the borders, the boards are finished before I do the machining. All that is required is a finish sanding and going over it with steel wool but thanks for pointing out something I might not have thought of.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

You just BOUGHT a machine that can do it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... c2_b3EvYSU

How are you Z-Zeroing...touchplate or manually?
You've got about a decade more woodworking experience than me:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I'm running out of suggestion here.

Last suggestion. Create a brand new test job with just a couple of holes and vector profile cuts. Run it on a scrap piece. :?:
John
Maker of Chips

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

scottp55 wrote:You just BOUGHT a machine that can do it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... c2_b3EvYSU

How are you Z-Zeroing...touchplate or manually?
You've got about a decade more woodworking experience than me:)
scott
I am zeroing the setup manually by jogging the bit to the starting point and placing the center of the bit as close to the corner as possible and the bit barely touching the face of the material.

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

highpockets wrote:I'm running out of suggestion here.

Last suggestion. Create a brand new test job with just a couple of holes and vector profile cuts. Run it on a scrap piece. :?:
I had thought about that myself and will give that a try tomorrow. Each time I cut a piece, I see things that I need to tweak. I am taking notes as to what setting work well so that I can replicate them on the next project. I'm also trying to find fonts that look good, cut fairly quickly and present the best.

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by maineshops »

I use a router sled to flatten large boards. Works well
Attachments
F8C3F39D-4566-4D5C-A594-4BA3ED18A1C6.jpeg

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

The only thing I can add is that you may be zeroing your Z at a high spot and doing it by eye instead of a touch off pad. Maybe use a thin sheet of paper for a feeler gauge to be more accurate. If your material is a little wavy, maybe move to the center and recalculate. I also noticed that all of your vectors in the outline weren't selected for the cut. I would close all of my open vectors (right click for Selection; Open Vectors) and recalculate. I noticed you were using a drill, I would use an end mill that would drill instead. Just some thoughts that may be of some help...joe
Attachments
Crib Board.PNG

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID 48x48

Post by Gasawdust »

Have you calibrated you machine?