Reversing All Toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
blfuller123
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 5x10

Reversing All Toolpaths

Post by blfuller123 »

I am trying to cut EVA foam sheets and to get a clean cut, I am running the same tool path in the opposite direction. Is there any way to select all vectors and change the start and end points at once? If not, is there any way to reverse the same tool path? Thanks in advance.

Brett

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Reversing All Toolpaths

Post by PaulRowntree »

Not sure if this helps, but could you make one set of toolpaths with the normal 'conventional milling' direction of cut, then with the same vectors selected do a 'climb milling' ?
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Ado
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam M2412

Post by Ado »

I am also cutting EVA foam. When using a ballnose endmill or shallow angle v-bit I have similar problems. Switching from conventional to climb (or vice versa) will clean it up but the damage is already done by tearing the tailing edge in the first run. My next option is to try a down spiral cutter with high spindle speed and slower feed rate. Fingers crossed this works better. Also try doing a seperate last pass. If any wizards have any further suggestions I'd be keen to hear them.
Cheers, Ado

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What you need to do is to make the first cut slightly offset from the vectors and then the final cut at the proper location.

That is exactly what the separate last pass feature on the profile toolpath is designed to do.

If you want more control over speeds etc of the last cut then you can create two separate toolpaths using the Allowance offset on the first one. You can the use the Merge Toolpaths feature to create a single toolpath that will fully machine each part before moving onto the next.