Not starting where I expected

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Not starting where I expected

Post by Rubiconlwb »

I finally got all the equipment I needed to be able to try out my new CNC Piranha XL today (I have been waiting on the router for a week). I created a simple sign that I place in the center of a 6" X 10" area. I set the zero point at the upper left corner. I created a toopath and placed it on a thumb drive. I took the thumb drive to the CNC machine and plugged it into the controller. I placed a scrap piece of wood larger than the sign design and clamped it in place. I set the zero point at an arbitrary point in the upper left area of the scrap material. I selected the toolpath and hit start. The router moved to the far right edge of the scrap piece, about in the middle and began cutting the letters. It was obviously starting in the wrong area, probably about 4" too far in the X axis and about 4" or 5" not far enough in the Y axis. I aborted the operation and re-zeroed the machine but it did exactly the same thing. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Not starting where I expected

Post by mtylerfl »

Your XY zero location of your machine must match the XY zero you set in the software.

If the software XY zero is set to the upper left corner, then that's what your machine and material XY zero needs to be set also.

Make sure your machine XY zero is located where you want it. Also verify your controller software doesn't have any XY offsets that are throwing the location off.

Call your machine's Support staff if you can't sort it out on your own. I'm sure they can get you going in no time.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

mtylerfl wrote:Your XY zero location of your machine must match the XY zero you set in the software.

If the software XY zero is set to the upper left corner, then that's what your machine and material XY zero needs to be set also.

Make sure your machine XY zero is located where you want it. Also verify your controller software doesn't have any XY offsets that are throwing the location off.

Call your machine's Support staff if you can't sort it out on your own. I'm sure they can get you going in no time.
Indeed, after checking more closely, there was an offset in place so that is probably what was causing the problem, thanks for the help

Steve Misher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4

Post by Steve Misher »

When I had my HD4, The X and Y cables were miss labeled and was moving in the wrong direction. Make sure the gantry is moving properly.
Just a thought!

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Did you load the program onto the computer hard drive and run it from the hard drive - OR - did you run the program from the USB stick?

Mach3 reads the program from the hard drive a LOT faster than reading from the USB stick.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

I removed the offset from the toolpath and the item machined properly. I create the .tap files on my laptop and save them on a thumb drive which I plug into the pendant to load and cut. It all seems to be working OK now. I successfully made a cribbage board, a small sign and used the laser module to burn two things on wood. I am loving this new machine and the whole process but I definitely have a lot to learn.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Excellent - good job! Now you're having fun!!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

I am indeed having fun! This is the kind of thing that intrigues me. I love computers and have used them for many years. I even code my own programs using Visual Basic 6 and create web pages and have for years. I have been using AutoCad for many years as well and use it to create drawings of the projects I make often. I print to drawing out, print the step by step instructions on the back. Then I laminate the sheet of paper and put it in a binder I have so all these drawings are together. I know that I will have a ton of fun with the CNC and will create lots of projects using it.