pins on a new model

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

pins on a new model

Post by scottart »

I am working on a new deer model and it is covered in tall pin shaped "trees" all over the model.

Any one have any idea what causes this?

The pictures from when I review the tool path.

the first pictures show hundreds of pins. this is from when I carved using an offset tool path

the third picture was from using a rastor tool path, and now there are only two of the pins.

they look like the tool path misses very small areas leaving these tall pin shaped reminants.

Thoughts?
Attachments
deer model showing the extent of the pins
deer model showing the extent of the pins
close up of the pins at an angle
close up of the pins at an angle
Raster tool path only shows two pins
Raster tool path only shows two pins
close up of pins.
close up of pins.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: pins on a new model

Post by mtylerfl »

Those are typically caused from "speckles" in the original bitmap. Spikes are easily sculpted out using the Smooth (Lower setting) and/or the Remove tool. Further blending sculpting may be required. If the spikes are actually holes in the model, then turn off the preserve transparency and use Smooth Raise or Deposit or Smudge Raise to fill them. (There are other techniques to fix things like this such as merged elements etc, but sculpting is usually simpler.)

You could also consider editing the speckles out of the bitmap before importing, but you'll be working at a zoomed in pixel level and could take some time. Global speckle removal tools are not recommended because it will often yield a "melted chocolate" appearance (less defined detail).

Was this a greyscale you found or something you modeled yourself from a 2D photo/bitmap?

Not sure why the difference between the carve strategies, but I think the model itself is causing this. You can save it out as an STL and import it into the free MeshLab software to see if it shows defects there also (and make repairs if necessary). If no defects show up there, then it could be a display issue in the toolpath preview (unlikely, but possible).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottart
Vectric Craftsman

Post by scottart »

interesting.

this was build from a JPEG and creating vectors, than using the vectors in Aspire to generate shapes. so no chance that a Bitmap contributed.

I did in fact try use the smoothing tool over the entire model to no effect.

The model is very large, 70" tall 60" wide. the carving test path was run with a 1/8 ' ball nose with 10 % step over... so I can see how the detail picks up.

So I am still leaning toward a problem with Raster tool route as the issue... but not sure..

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Scott,

If you like, upload the model to DropBox and email me the download link via the Contact Form on the carvebuddy.com website.

I'll take a look at it for you tomorrow after church and let you know what (if anything) needs to be done to fix it and if I observe the same toolpath issues you've shown.

Does the model need to be that large size for your project? That's fine, if so, but please let me know one way or the other.

Sorry for my late reply. I just got back home from a visit with family in Florida about an hour ago

EDIT: If you decide you want the help, please upload your crv3d file to DropBox (not just the model alone). I can troubleshoot much better by looking at the complete file with the jpg bitmap and components.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

scottart wrote:interesting.

this was build from a JPEG and creating vectors, than using the vectors in Aspire to generate shapes. so no chance that a Bitmap contributed.

I did in fact try use the smoothing tool over the entire model to no effect.

The model is very large, 70" tall 60" wide. the carving test path was run with a 1/8 ' ball nose with 10 % step over... so I can see how the detail picks up.

So I am still leaning toward a problem with Raster tool route as the issue... but not sure..
Building this from a bitmap and generating shapes it's possible you left some small areas between the shapes that would cause the pins. Also what Modeling Resolution did you set when you created the job?

If you don't need the model at 60x70 try reducing the size of the model to say 50% and see what happens....

Just my thoughts....
John
Maker of Chips

scottart
Vectric Craftsman

Post by scottart »

I'm sure I will never use the model in that scale, it just allows me to play with details at that scale that I can't play with at 25 % of that.

I will look in to the drop box thing and figure out how to send it to you.... after I reduce it and see if the problem persists..