how can i make wooden tapered pegs w/out a lathe

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
parentsdisapointment
Model of CNC Machine: piranha

how can i make wooden tapered pegs w/out a lathe

Post by parentsdisapointment »

first..............Merry Christmas all

I'm looking to make some wooden pegs in a balloon shape [hope that makes sense].....the holes are .25 dia and would like them about 1.5 inches high or so but not sure how to do them.

I did make some that were round but I didn't like the look. they were .25 for the stake part and .5 for the top part.

mine look more like land mines

I'm looking for more of a look like this
pegs.jpg
lil help

Thanks

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: how can i make wooden tapered pegs w/out a lathe

Post by Phil »

Buy them.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Phil wrote:Buy them.
Agreed.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If you can start with a cylindrical dowel and have a way to clamp it so the end is up then it is not hard to taper the end. Once tapered remove and cut off the peg, then stick the dowel back in and taper the new end. Repeat until you have all the tapered pegs you want. If you precut the dowel into peg lengths then just stick them into a tight hole with the end you want to taper sticking out. Taper, then remove and stick in the next peg blank. You might need a way to loosen then tighten the hole's grip on the pegs.

Tapering can be done with the fluting toolpath and a circular array of short vectors,
or the moulding toolpath with a profile view of the taper and a circle to use as the drive rail,
or using a tapered end mill and a profile toolpath. You can find tapered end mills in a variety of taper angles.

4D

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Buying them is the most prudent way to go, but if you're looking to make them out of a special material you could try using the double sided job type and molding toolpaths. The banding on the top part would have to be done by hand with a drill or something.
Image 060.png
John
Maker of Chips

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

You can do a row of pegs using a strip of endgrain hardwood and any of the three strategies I mentioned above. If you want a step in from the taper then move the tapered path inward.

Render from Aspire:
Row of tapered pegs.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not something I have tried but if you were doing something like a row of them as 4DThinker has suggested then a straightforward profile cut outside a circle might work, just use a dovetail bit instead of a straight endmill :lol: :lol:

Personally I think I would probably just buy them, seem to be quite a large range available & they are not expensive compared to the time it would take to make them :lol: :lol:

I have a wood lathe & would still probably just buy them :lol: :lol:

Timvmax
Vectric Wizard

Post by Timvmax »

parentsdisapointment
Model of CNC Machine: piranha

Post by parentsdisapointment »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will try both the double sided job type and molding toolpaths and the dovetail. I know it would be easier to purchase them but I want to go w/the what I produced out of cherry. it has an old fashioned look and I want to keep the peg idea in the same manner. I want to at least "try" new things so I can get some experience under my belt

side note............my parents probably would have suggested to purchase them also....... but you know me........I have a reputation to keep up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again, all very good ideas