More Models

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

More Models

Post by garylmast »

Using the double sided feature in the new Aspire makes doing these models easy. I got the horse and tiger from Thingiverse, but modified them slightly, adding wings to the horse and using the front part only of the tiger. I used bronze metal coating. I'm still experimenting but having fun doing it.
Gary
Attachments
IMG_1871.jpg
Tiger Picture 2.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: bravoprodigy be3030

Re: More Models

Post by frank taylor »

unreal great model how big overall made from wood or foam it looks more silver than bronze cant find that horse in thingiverse like to have ago only dreaming though I think not up to your standards

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Well Gary it seems you have the finish process down to a science now.
They all look beautiful. I have only one question. Are the horses wings on backwards? It looks great as is just curious. :lol: :) :)
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I have only one question. Are the horses wings on backwards? It looks great as is just curious.
Since I never seen a real pegasus in person, who knew what way the wings go? :?: :?: :?: I was already informed by someone from Thingiverse about the wings. They have been chopped off and remounted in the correct direction. After some hand grinding and prep work, I'll respray the metal coating.
unreal great model how big overall made from wood or foam it looks more silver than bronze cant find that horse in thingiverse like to have ago only dreaming though I think not up to your standards
The post in Thingiverse is: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2438365

I used mdf and made three slices, where each slice was double sided cut. Although I used ZBrush to make the wings and fit them, I have another software called Netfabb that I purchased with my 3-D printer that repairs stl files. That software is much faster, repairs the cut and each slice can be exported separately. It also has a free 'basic' download.

With this new version of Aspire, it makes these types of projects easy.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Since I never seen a real pegasus in person, who knew what way the wings go? :?: :?: :?: I was already informed by someone from Thingiverse about the wings. They have been chopped off and remounted in the correct direction. After some hand grinding and prep work, I'll respray the metal coating.

Gary please don't take offense on my posting it was not intended. I also have never seen a pegasus up close but your carve has certainly given me a better understanding.
On zbrush are you using 4r8 as yet retopologizing followed by append to model makes for a lot less work. I also have used Netfabb and it does indeed work super well for stl models.
I found this especially true for stls from thingiverse.

Again thanks for sharing and I also think I may resemble the original horse as an ass flying backwards :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

FANTASTIC inspiration.

It's not about the arrows -- it's all about the skill of the Indian

AWESOME work
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Again thanks for sharing and I also think I may resemble the original horse as an ass flying backwards
Dwayne, I didn't take offense, I was just joking. You did give me an idea. Maybe the next model can be a donkey with wings. :D , just kidding.

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Gary
Those animals are beautiful and the finish is great
Thank You
Doug

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

I love the finish you've applied here - could you tell us a bit more about the finishing process? How long did this take to make?
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I love the finish you've applied here - could you tell us a bit more about the finishing process? How long did this take to make?
I found another supplier in California that sold me a gallon of resin and 4-lbs of powder, which was 8-times more material, for less that I paid for the material I mentioned in the post about the owl. I also was able to use the gun I got from HarborFreight for under $10 that had a 1.4mm tip instead of having to buy a special gun with a 2.3mm tip. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... &hilit=owl

Metal Powders USA http://www.metalpowdersusa.com/shop-now.html

It is a polyester resin and 325-mesh powder. I have done some small touch-up using fiberglass resin I got from Home Depot; however it was a little thicker and would require a styrene thinner (not acetone) if used with the spray gun.

You do need a digital scale that measures grams and metal strainer that I got from Amazon for around $12.

You will want to have everything ready, because once you put the hardener in you only have a 5 or 6 minutes to spray it and immediately clean your gun. Acetone is used for cleaning, but do not use it for thinner. It shouldn’t need thinning. Use the metal strainer when pouring the material in the gun. Have a plastic pan you can disassemble your gun and to pour the Acetone into. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR WRENCH AVAILALE TO TAKE THE GUN APART, it sets up fast.

I primed the wood first using a gray primer I got from Home Depot. (It was advised not to use an etching primer). Below is the mixing ratio. For the Pegasus, it took 200 grams of power and 64 grams of Resin. When I resprayed the wings after I repaired it (so it wasn’t flying backwards, ha ha) it took another 50 grams of power and 16 gram of resin. The model is 18" x 8" x 13".

After letting it cure for a few hours, you need to hand sand the resin scum. I used an 80 grit sanding sponge and then some steel wool. I also used a flexible metal brush (very lightly) in some hard to reach spots. You don’t want to be too severe because the material is very thin and you can sand through to the bare wood. Depending on the texture and curves of your model; you can go up 2000 grit sandpaper to make it shine more. So far I’ve stayed with using only the steel wool.

I'm still experimenting, but so far I like how the finish is coming out.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Stunning and thanks for the update on the process. Sounds appealing to give it a run.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Wow really nice! I like the buffalo. Did you do some hand carving or add the horns after to get them done right?? I'd like to do a buffalo as well.

Thanks.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Wow really nice! I like the buffalo. Did you do some hand carving or add the horns after to get them done right?? I'd like to do a buffalo as well.
I also got the buffalo and boar from Thingiverse, however they didn't have much detail, so I brought them into ZBrush to enhance them. On both those models, when I was cutting them, I couldn't add tabs on their horns and they broke off, so I hand-carved them using a spindle sander and die grinder.

Thanks everyone for your compliments.
Gary

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:726062
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2503294

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: bravoprodigy be3030

Post by frank taylor »

thanks for the horse file how did you get rid of the base so you could slice and how big is the horse you made x-y-z many thanks frank

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Frank, I used a software called Netfabb to do the slice and repair each slice. Stl's are not solid, so after each slice, the hole needs to be repaired to make it watertight. Although I have the licence version, there is a free basic download. After I sliced and disregarded the base, I made three slices long ways, and did a double sided cut on each slice. The final size of the model was 16" L x 12.75" H x 5" W. (less the wings), however you can scale the size to anything you want. (see the picture in this thread a few posts up). Gary