Need help with egg tray project please

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
imac1959
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by imac1959 »

My wife has asked me to make some egg trays for family similar to this

https://ligneus.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... g-tray.jpg

I am not sure how to achieve the best way of cutting the egg shaped recesses, can anyone give me a hint at the best way so I can develop this further?

Thank you!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Need help with egg tray project please

Post by Adrian »

Use one of the dome/dish clipart models that come with VCarve and set the model to be subtracted then 3D toolpath it. It can also be done with a series of fluting toolpaths and I suspect with a moulding toolpath too but I haven't used that enough to be able to say 100% without being at my design computer.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Of the three strategies that Adrian mentioned, the recently added Moulding tool path will likely be the most efficient solution. It is a little tricky to set up for bowl shapes, but only requires a tiny circle and a 1/4 circle/arc for the bowl profile. If not too deep you can probably skip the larger area clearance pass.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Here is an 18-egg holder
Send me a pm with your email and I will send you the .crv3d or .crv file
The file is 12 meg so I cannot post it
Dale
egg holder.jpg
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

My question would have to be does the egg-holder necessarily need a concave inner surface at all? You're unlikely to find a dozen eggs with exactly that curvature so it can't be for support of the eggs.

Would it not be easier to have a shallow pocket instead? The pocket doesn't have to be very deep. The Toshiba BC-310 egg cooker in the image is quite shallow and the eggs don't touch the heating surface.
Toshiba BC-310 egg cooker
Toshiba BC-310 egg cooker
Steven

pjblues
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AutoRoute 6

Post by pjblues »

Could I get a copy of the files for the 18 egg holder please?

My email is:

pjblues1@neo.rr.com

Thanks.

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

While we are on the topic of the egg tray project (and apologize in advance if this is considered hi-jacking the thread). My significant other had a similar request earlier this year (those catalogs do get around). I made several (12, not 18-egg trays). However, to avoid the undesirable effect (see attached rendition) from the toolpaths I created, I had to do a work around while machining. I recognize this is my error, or at least lack of sufficient understanding. And while the work arounds worked around and avoided the undesireable result shown in the depiction, I expect that there is a correct way I should be creating the tool path leaving an elegant machining operation (without using any one of several work-arounds). I have v-carve pro, and used the 90 degree dome models to create the project, stretching the height appropriately. Created the rough and finish tool paths, using a 1/2 spiral and 1/2 BN, respectively.

Thanks.
Brian
Attachments
Machined using "work-around".  there are several ways to avoid the unwanted cut depicted in the other "photo".  Here, the finish path was set with a minus 0.25" offset, and I "faked" the Z setting when maching the finish path by seeting it at minus 0.25.  Figure there is an elegant (e.g., correct) method.
Machined using "work-around". there are several ways to avoid the unwanted cut depicted in the other "photo". Here, the finish path was set with a minus 0.25" offset, and I "faked" the Z setting when maching the finish path by seeting it at minus 0.25. Figure there is an elegant (e.g., correct) method.
Rendition by v-carve showing "unwanted cut".  Had set finish model to cut to vector (setting to model yielded same result) where the vector was a circle the size of the "top" of each model (dome).
Rendition by v-carve showing "unwanted cut". Had set finish model to cut to vector (setting to model yielded same result) where the vector was a circle the size of the "top" of each model (dome).

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Bob,

It may be simply that you didn't use the Zero Plane in your layout. A Zero Plane eliminates the chatter around edges of recessed dishes.

There are a couple Vectric tutorial videos that will explain the process for you. Go to the Training video page and do a search for "Zero Plane".
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Thank you Michael for the pointer. Will do.
Brian.

connalj
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop max

Post by connalj »

HI,
Could you also send that .crv file to connal308876@gmail.com as well. This is fantastic:-)

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Do you have Aspire or V-carve Pro?
What version do you have?
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

mcsteve
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD

Post by mcsteve »

Dale, your 18 egg tray looks great. Thanks for posting it.

I don’t appear to be able to send a PM on this forum. Would you be able to send me the V-carve file as well? I am using the latest version of V-Carve Pro (9). This looks like an interesting project and would provide a great starting point for some other dish shaped projects i’ve Been thinking about but haven’t figured out yet.

mcsteve at hotmail dot ca

Thanks