How do I creat this 3D feature in Aspire 9.0?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
rowka
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

How do I creat this 3D feature in Aspire 9.0?

Post by rowka »

Hello,
Please have a look at the picture of a guitar I have modeled in Rhino. There is a feature called a belly-cut (or tummy-cut) that is relatively straight forward to do with a 2-rail sweep when I have access to put one of the rails on the side of the guitar body and one on the back. Since the rails are offset in the X, Y, AND Z axis, the resultant surface varies in pitch, or steepness, along its length. Additionally, I am able to control the max depth (1 inch in this case) and the location where that max depth occurs.

Is there a way to create such a feature in Aspire?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: How do I creat this 3D feature in Aspire 9.0?

Post by mtylerfl »

Yes, you can model that in Aspire.

But, if you have Rhino and are already comfortable with it, just save your model as STL or OBJ and import it into Aspire for toolpathing.

Nothing wrong with using a variety of software products to achieve your goals.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

rowka
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

Post by rowka »

Yes, of course I can build this feature in Rhino and then import it into Aspire.

Maybe it's just as easy, or easier, to do in Aspire directly (since, that is where the final model and tool-path creation will exist).

Maybe it's easier to do in Rhino. I don't know. I just know that I don't know how to do it in Aspire.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Sorry for it being so crude, but it looks like with the profile and some molding toolpaths it you could do the job with out having to cut the entire body from a model.
Image 045.png
The other thing you could do is save the model in a .stl file, import it into Aspire then create a vector boundary then offset (inward) a copy that would incorporate all the areas that are milled, select both vectors then use the roughing and finishing toolpaths with Selected Vectors option. This would also cut down on machining time.

Hope this makes since.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

You can also use two rail sweep in Aspire with multiple vector cross sections to control the shape of the curve in all three dimensions.
John
Maker of Chips

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

You can use your Rhino model (I would) and draw boundaries in Aspire to 3D cut the specific areas that need 3D cutting. The flat part of the back can be 2D cutting, which is far more efficient. You will need to do some sanding to blend, but it should be minimal.

Setting the cut heights to blend will be the more critical challenge.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Rather than exporting the Rhino model as OBJ or STL using a native 3DM file exported as Rhino version 4 (unless version 9 Aspire imports Rhino ver 5 models natively) tends to be a better import format (you might have to do a "join" on the surfaces first)