Expanding a 3D moulding clipart

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Expanding a 3D moulding clipart

Post by Hitch »

I want to make some moulding for a desk, max length is 3 ft. I've looked for HOW TO in videos, tutorials and search this site for info. - no luck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Expanding a 3D moulding clipart

Post by gkas »

Do you have a picture, or describe what type of molding you want to create. 3D figures, standard type base molding, etc.

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

Go to www.vectric.com then support click training, then VCarve and watch moulding tool path vidio
Glen

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

I've watched the video. Using a 3d model isn't covered and what about getting the profile from the clipart.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

The Moulding tool path take just two vectors. One is essentially a side view outline (drawn horizontally on the screen) of the shape you want to extrude. The other is a line that represents one edge of the path you want that shape extruded down.

4D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Pictures or screenshots are always helpful in answering questions, if you have a picture of what you are wanting to do then can you post it :lol: :lol:

If I have read your original post correctly then I don't think you can do what you want to with Vcarve pro as there are no modelling tools within Vcarve. Having said that you may simply be able to copy/array a piece of 3D clipart & get something close to the look you are after :lol: :lol:

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

I'm back, so many carvings for this desk I'm building. I'm building the Roman version of the Resolute desk. With hours between carvings I'm able to make time for planning sessions (naps), playing the bagpipes or whatever I'm told to do. Anyway the next carving is several stripes of moulding 3.75" by what ever length and I'm using the 3D 58218. I think they can be jointed in a string? Question - how to I ensure the joints of the clip art are accurate and consistent? I've attached the .crv file. My CNC can handle up to 36" long boards.

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

Use the tiling tool path in y that way you can design the molding as long as you need and carve in sections so everything is lined up there are a video in training about thi
Glenn

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

Excellent. Thank you.

Ron

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hitch wrote:I'm back, so many carvings for this desk I'm building. I'm building the Roman version of the Resolute desk.
Hi Hitch,

I don't know what the "Roman version" of the Resolute Desk is, but I DO know your work is cut out for you! I was commissioned by the CarveWright company CEO (Chris Lovchik) earlier this year to create several models for the Resolute Desk he was planning to build. This was for his personal library (http://www.carvewright.com/the-library- ... ght-built/) and also to show as a featured project during the 2017 CarveWright Conference. All the carved portions were done on the CarveWright machine (as were all the carvings in his massive all-oak library).

We split up the assignments between us...I created models with Aspire and he created models with the CarveWright modeling software. We started this in February and finished all the models by June (about "killed us both" to make the "zillion" models and building of the desk in time for the June Conference!) We always have a BBQ at his house after the conference. The desk was not actually totally completed (many secret compartments needed to be added and the leather desktop had to be custom made before final assembly) but it was finished enough to show attendees. We did scale the desk to slightly smaller width than the original, so modeling/size adjustments were made from the get-go. The Presidential Seal was replaced with the Lovchik Family Crest instead.

I think it's extremely admirable that you took on this major project (although I don't know how the heck you are doing it without the benefit of Aspire to create your own models). I think I found practically every photo available of the actual Resolute Desk to use for reference. Most photos were black and white and not very good detail when zoomed in tight. Did find some color photos of the desk with Pres Obama taken fairly recently, so those were good to have (better resolution). Anyway, the ref photos were essential when modeling in Aspire as well as CarveWright software products. Here's some screenshots of a few of the models I made with Aspire and a couple of the desk itself..

All the best for your project! You are a brave man! Perhaps the pics will help inspire you that it can be done!! :D
Attachments
Michael_T_sitting_at_CW_Resolute_Desk.png
desk_side_view.png
Back_Column_ALL-Five_Sections.png
MIDDLE_ONLY_Drawer_Front.png
Back_Drawer_Front_1a.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

Well as far as the Roman version goes. I checked out some architecture books for carvings and mouldings. The Roman Eagle was the biggest find, a 60 degree V-bit works on that one. I tried to do some 3D drafting, but it has been more than 25 years since I've used AutoCAD, so it's down to what I can do with VCarve. It's my son's desk and some of the carvings will be Latin expressions - his choice. The best part is working together on this long project. I will post pictures when it's done.

Take care

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

That sounds cool! What a wonderful father-son project. I'm looking forward to your progress photos and final result. I know it's going to be fantastic!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC