Rough cut for 3D too deep

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Rough cut for 3D too deep

Post by Hitch »

I've had this problem occur for the second time on different carvings. A 3D image is carved with different bits for rough and finish - beautiful. I go the next piece, same G code and the roughing bit goes deeper than the first time, result 4+ hours wasted. Any suggestions to the cause? I'm using VCarve Pro V9 on a Shark Pro (plus?) CNC and the machine is well lubricated with Boeshield T9.

Ron

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Rough cut for 3D too deep

Post by martin54 »

How are you setting your Z zero when you carry out a tool change? The only thing I can think of is an error in the way you set up after tool changes.
If you have already cut the file once & all way good then it can't be a software problem. If you were losing steps or had a backlash problem then I would expect there to be other problems rather than just a difference in the depth of the roughing pass, if the collet wasn't tight enough or the bit had slipped then I would generally expect your second roughing pass to be shallower than the first not deeper.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

You didn't mention size thickness or material speeds or feeds or tools used or clamping method

I wonder if the material is moving or distorting.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

On my first CNC, if I set the z plunge and feed too strong it would lose a step in the z and it would then start cutting deeper.
Jim Williams

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Losing steps in Z between multiple runs or parts --

If the multiple parts are not setup in an "Array" I usually reset my Z-zero after each individual part run therefore eliminating any chance of parts not turning out the same (loosing steps in z). It takes a little extra effort and time but I am guaranteed parts are carved all the same.

Just a Thought!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

I'm only doing two panels, so I do set the top of material and reset Z,X and Y to zero. I've tried to upload two files and they haven't arrived.

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

I'm having a problem uploading files. The upload progresses and then everything disappears. What's happening?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There is a file size limit of 2mb so it's pretty likely you're exceeding that. You could try compressing the files or uploading them to a file sharing service such as Dropbox, Google drive etc and posting the link here.

Make sure that there are no models that you've purchased in the file though as it would be breaching copyright to post them here.

So you cut one panel completely with rough and finish cuts before moving to the 2nd panel? You're setting the z-zero each time you change bits and not just once at the beginning?

Hitch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Hitch »

The file size makes sense, can't share everything. I'm doing a rough and finish 3d on models for a panel and I place the bit on the starting point and set all 3 axis to zero. Attached are two pictures. The small panel was roughed out as expected. The material above the model was removed and then the model was roughed out. This didn't happen on the larger panel. The circles for the models were not done until the finish part. Can this be changed? The second picture is the larger panel and shows what was not touched be the finishing bit. Is there some setting which changes the gap above the model. I've finished with a file, save the tool path and saved the file and noticed the gap above the model has changed. Typically I use .125. Still in the dark and hope I don't waste any more time with the too deep problem.
Attachments
Depth incorrect 11" panel
Depth incorrect 11" panel
8" panel
8" panel