Distort Selected Objects

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6+

Distort Selected Objects

Post by tjimholte »

I am able to use this feature with text but I can't get it to work with 3d objects from my clip art folders. Is it possible to bend a 3d object?

Thanks for any help and or ideas what I am doing wrong.

TJ

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Distort Selected Objects

Post by dwilli9013 »

Yes it is possible you have to draw two curves above and below the object then go into your distort object icon. Pick the button between two curves.
Then pick you object then your top line then your bottom line hit apply and distort away.
The attached example actually started out as an eliptical barbed wire border. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Thanks but that is what I have been trying to do but am obviously doing it wrong as it says invalid selection.
I am new to this forum. How do I insert a screen shot to show you?

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

just take a screen shot of what you have then hit the upload attachment button below the post box. find your screenshot on your computer then hid add file. It will then attach it to the post. If you then hit preview the post your picture will show. Be careful though as there is a 2mb file size limit on the forum. If your picture is too large then go into a photo editor such as Irfanview and resize the image 1024 x 768 usually works well with Dots per inch set to 96. save the photo to the new size and upload again.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Now I see the upload button. Helps to not be viewing this is a small window.
Attachments
Distort Screen Shot.PNG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Doesn't look like you have selected the 3D clipart, select the 3D clipart first then the top & bottom vectors :lol: :lol:

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Thanks Martin but I have tried to select it by clicking on it, double clicking on it, surrounding left to right, surrounding it right to left. They all make it visible from greyed out but it still says invalid selection. What do I need to do to make a valid selection??

tjimholte
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tjimholte »

Also I have the same results on both version 8.5 and 9.0. The funny thing is when I select the top curve it tells me the bottom curve is valid and then when I select the bottom curve it tells me the top curve is valid. Nothing I do results in a valid selection of the clipart.

I must just be doing something stupid and can't figure out what.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It can be a bit finicky about ordering. Try holding down the shift key and clicking on each curve in turn to unselect and select it again. The clipart will be light grey when NOT selected.

Personally I prefer to use the Bounding Box/Edit Envelope combination as I find that gives me more fine control with the addition of nodes where I want them and I can control the look better as I pull towards the outline shape/curve.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

tjimholte wrote:Thanks Martin but I have tried to select it by clicking on it, double clicking on it, surrounding left to right, surrounding it right to left. They all make it visible from greyed out but it still says invalid selection. What do I need to do to make a valid selection??
Change your view to 3d view in top left window. Then pick on your model then go back to 2d tab and pick on your bottom and top vectors. Pick on between 2 lines in the distortion box and distort away. Make sure when you get it like you wish to bake the distortion. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Didn't work for me either until I ungrouped the component. Apparently, if the component is made up of individual smaller components it has to be ungrouped before applying the distortion.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can select in the 2D window there's no need to switch to the 3D one unless I'm missing something. Select the clipart, then the two curves. If you do the clipart after one of the curves you have to select and unselect to get the clipart back to the start of the selection group.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

I believe what Adrian mentioned about the shift key may be the issue. After you pick you base component to distort hold down the shift key to pick the bottom and top vectors. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

dwilli9013 wrote:I believe what Adrian mentioned about the shift key may be the issue. After you pick you base component to distort hold down the shift key to pick the bottom and top vectors. :lol: :lol:
It still didn't work for me on grouped components until I ungrouped them. I used a component from 8.5. Flourish: 101-11-X
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I didn't know about grouped components so that's good to know thanks Steve :lol:

Selection order is important & as Adrian has said the model is greyed out when NOT selected, also make sure your 2 vector rails are not grouped :lol:

Select model first, then holding down shift key select one & then the other vectors, I select the top one first but not sure it makes a difference :lol: :lol: