help creating a ridge around a shape

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bk3132
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRSStandard 48-96

Re: help creating a ridge around a shape

Post by bk3132 »

dealguy11 wrote:Out of curiosity, why not route the chamfer by hand? It should be pretty trivial compared to trying to set this up as a 2-sided project and getting everything aligned.
It's definitely plan B to rout by hand. But there are several reasons I'd prefer not to:

1. With this particular design, I am hoping to be in a position where I can make and sell many, and I'd like to streamline the production as much as possible. With properly placed dowels, a flip of the stock and a tool change, theoretically I should be able to dial in production without too much trouble. Also, I plan to use steel hairpin legs and would like to recess the mounting plate in a pocket under the table. So I probably need to machine on 2 sides anyway. Am I underestimating the challenge of 2 sided machining?

2. I am trying to cut a pretty substantial scalloping/rounding of the underside more than a simple bevel -- at least that's the design I am hoping to achieve. I realize that the "right" bit might not exist. So alternatively, I could run a moulding toolpath with a ballnose to achieve the desired look, but that machining would probably take a long time. I realize that my design dreams and the reality of production time/complexity might be in conflict here...

3. The profile that I would need to rout by hand is pretty complicated compared to a simple circular tabletop.

The CNC arrives next week -- my first real machine after playing with a small Handibot for a year. After I figure out which way is up, I will start prototyping the design. I am sure, at least at first, that it will be 100x more complicated that I think it will be!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

bk3132,

My thoughts on reviewing your .CRV file:
  • the ball-nose bit for "Swept Profile 1" and the 1/4" up-cut bit for "Profile cut" share the same tool number (#2)
  • "Swept Profile 1" the larger clearance tool doesn't seem to produce anything worthwhile so it could be de-selected
  • the ball-nose bit for "Swept Profile 1" plunges to its full depth of cut while trapped by the pocket material. I'd re-order the paths as follows:
    • inner pocket [clear]
    • inner pocket
    • pocket cleanup
    • Swept Profile 1 --> the ball-nose cut
    • Profile cutout
  • if you're worried about chip-out on the "Profile cutout" I'd create a new tool path and place it between "pocket cleanup" and "Swept Profile 1" that cuts 1/32" deep using your down-cut bit used in "pocket cleanup" just to pre-score the material
Steven

bk3132
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot PRSStandard 48-96

Post by bk3132 »

adze_cnc wrote:bk3132,

My thoughts on reviewing your .CRV file:
  • the ball-nose bit for "Swept Profile 1" and the 1/4" up-cut bit for "Profile cut" share the same tool number (#2)
  • "Swept Profile 1" the larger clearance tool doesn't seem to produce anything worthwhile so it could be de-selected
  • the ball-nose bit for "Swept Profile 1" plunges to its full depth of cut while trapped by the pocket material. I'd re-order the paths as follows:
    • inner pocket [clear]
    • inner pocket
    • pocket cleanup
    • Swept Profile 1 --> the ball-nose cut
    • Profile cutout
  • if you're worried about chip-out on the "Profile cutout" I'd create a new tool path and place it between "pocket cleanup" and "Swept Profile 1" that cuts 1/32" deep using your down-cut bit used in "pocket cleanup" just to pre-score the material
Steven
Thank you! Admittedly I hadn't thought much about the order of toolpaths yet, so now I don't have to! The software automatically generated two toolpaths for the swept profile, and indeed one of them does nothing. Not sure why that happens.

I eventually plan to prototype this on an inexpensive pine panel and will post some pics.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

When I initially setup the .crv file for the moulding tool path I used two different bits a larger clearance bit and a finish bit. I did not go back and review each single toolpath to verify that it actually does something and or the correct order. I was in a hurry to just help provide an example of a moulding toolpath for this project. Sorry next time I will spend a little more time with the file before posting.

After reviewing the .crv file the first Swept Profile (clear) does NOTHING. This can be eliminated and just use the ball nose bit.

Also the tool path order is dependent upon type of wood used for project, climb or conventional direction of carving to eliminate tear out or the likes.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004