2 sided drawing problem.

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS 510/Trak Bed Mill/Sharp VMC

2 sided drawing problem.

Post by Gundawg »

I have a drawing I made in Aspire using the 2 sided feature and the first time I made the parts they came out perfect. The second time I made the parts they did not match up properly. I am thinking it is a machine problem but in doing some editing my dowel pin holes are not acting correctly. When I checked the location of the holes for the dowel pins in my machine bed I found them to be different than my drawing. I checked the holes with a coaxial indicator that is very accurate. Since changing the hole position in the machine bed by .100" would not work I decided to change the drawing to match the table position of the dowel pins. I placed the dowel pins in 2 corners diagonal to one another so when the sheet is flipped the holes go to the opposite corners I am flipping them horizontal if that matters. I corrected the drawing by moving the dowel position on the drawing to match the table but when you flip sides in the drawing it did not move the hole to the new position and kept the position it originally had even though I saved the drawing after editing the move. I hope I explained that correctly.

Mike

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: 2 sided drawing problem.

Post by mtylerfl »

Try Copy or Move the hole vectors to Other Side via right-clicking the hole vectors. The holes will be placed Exactly in their relative position to each side when flipped.

There can be other issues that caused your alignment problem, such as moving the entire drawing out of wack to the opposite side. But, if it's simply a hole alignment issue, then drawing the holes on one side, then using the Copy or Move to other side should assure perfect alignment.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Your registration holes need to be equal distance from the center of the material either horizontal or vertical depending on which way you plan on flipping the material.
Michael is spot on, the best way to make sure the registration holes are located correctly is to put a registration hole on one spot on your material then use the Mirror Select Object with Flip About Job Center and Create a Mirror Copy checked then use Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical based on how you setup your Double sided Flip Direction Between Sides.

Hope this help....
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

To clarify, the Copy/Mirror across center is good for the "old way" of doing two-sided projects.

That is, creating two separate files...one for the Top side and another for the Bottom side. Mirror-copying the alignment holes was peachy for that, but no longer necessary now that we can design a two-sided project in a single file.

What I referred to above, regarding the Copy or Move to other side, is a NEW feature specifically for two-sided project layouts.

When you create your alignment hole vectors on say, the Top side, you right-click and choose Copy or Move those (selected) holes to the Bottom side.

The holes will AUTOMATICALLY be placed in the exact position relative to the opposite side because the software takes into account the material flip direction.

In short, it's a quick and foolproof method of making sure the alignment holes are positioned correctly, every time!

This may not help you for your current project issues, but it is certainly going to help you for future two-sided projects. You can't go wrong (unless you make changes to material size, drawing positions, etc. that would throw alignment out of kilter.)

If you do make major edits that throw out alignment, just delete the original alignment holes, make new ones and Copy or Move those to the other side as I described.
Last edited by mtylerfl on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

Ok I did not do the right click copy to the other side when I moved it thanks. I thought by moving it on one side it would automatically move the vector on the other side. The other issue is a hold down or machine issue I am trying to sort out.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Gundawg wrote:...I thought by moving it on one side it would automatically move the vector on the other side...
That would be a "no" as you've now discovered. :)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

mtylerfl wrote:To clarify, the Copy/Mirror across center is good for the "old way" of doing two-sided projects.

That is, creating two separate files...one for the Top side and another for the Bottom side. Mirror-copying the alignment holes was peachy for that, but no longer necessary now that we can design a two-sided project in a single file.

What I referred to above, regarding the Copy or Move to other side, is a NEW feature specifically for two-sided project layouts.
Michael, why do I need the alignment holes on both sides of a double sided project? I only machine the alignment holes from the front side (or first side cut).
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

You do not need them on both sides for drilling...they are simply guides for one of the sides (the guide vectors will be on whichever side you choose NOT to actually cut the holes).

You will notice a faint gray outline of vectors "showing through" from the opposite side as part of the new two-sided feature. You may opt NOT to have actual guide vectors because of this. Personal choice. However, the "show-through ghost" vectors are harder for many people to see, so I usually keep guides of the alignment holes.

Take a peek at the Celestial Trundle Toys project to see an example of what I'm describing.

Again, your choice of whether you want vector guides or not. I think it's a good fail safe measure to have them. You can see if alignment is good between the two sides if you view both your guide vector holes and the ghost vectors of them on the other side. Immediate visual feedback if something is amiss.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

highpockets wrote:
mtylerfl wrote:To clarify, the Copy/Mirror across center is good for the "old way" of doing two-sided projects.

Michael, why do I need the alignment holes on both sides of a double sided project? I only machine the alignment holes from the front side (or first side cut).
You have to make the pockets to mate to the holes when they are flipped. I place the alignment pins in the corner so they are not in the middle of my vacuum table. I place them in the perimeter on opposite corners when you flip the sheet after machining the front side they are on the opposite corner.