under size profile toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dave60

under size profile toolpath

Post by dave60 »

Need to route a hole 3.375 in diameter in 3/4" plywood. Using profile toolpath, I select the 3.375 circle and create the toolpath with a 3/8" tool. Ramping in and cutting inside the circle, the hole ends up being .040 undersize. The tool is defined as and measures .372. I've tried both conventional and climb cutting. No help.

I ran a test using eCabinets and the hole is right at 3.375. Would really like to use VCarve because of the complexity of the parts.

I've been using VCarve Pro for many years and not had this problem. I can't believe a 3/8" compression tool would flex that much. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you.
Dave
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: under size profile toolpath

Post by martin54 »

Have you tried cutting using a reduced feed to see if that makes any difference or tried on a thinner piece of stock, realise with a compression bit then altering the DOC is probably not an option, how old is the machine ? Could be a combination of things & not just tool deflection :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: under size profile toolpath

Post by Adrian »

If it's cutting right in one program and not the other then you need to look at the differences between the two. I would suspect that you have different feed rates or you're using different ramp settings that are reducing the flex/movement in the bit/machine.