Just a wish

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
KWiK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Just a wish

Post by KWiK »

I got one of those 3D looking patterns for edge lit projects, that is just a pattern of crossing lines. Unfortunately I got it in CDR format and had to use a program to convert it to svg. Anyhow every square area is made up of four individual lines. I could select the whole thing and join lines, but then the path the diamond bit would have to follow is like a maze. So I am selecting every line and moving them to layers called Vertical and Horizontal. Once I have them split up I can select all the lines in a layer and join them and end up with long consistent direction lines. While doing this I am really finding myself wishing there was a lasso select. With rectangular select at best I can get 4 or 5 lines at a time. Laso select would speed this up at least 5x

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Re: Just a wish

Post by dhellew2 »

If any part of the vertical or horizontal lines are able to be selected by leaving part of the lines out you can draw a box around the lines and only the desired lines will be selected.

You can also hold down the shift key selecting each horizontal or vertical line then move them to a layer as a unit.

When doing this type of selection I find it useful to group the selected lines before moving them.
When creating duplicate vectors I do the same thing.... copy, paste, group then move the grouped copy

Another method would be by starting from scratch using the array copy,
For example;
draw a vertical line,
use the array copy to get the desired number of lines
group the lines
copy and paste the group
finish by rotating the grouped copy 90 degrees by pressing 9 or 0 twice

I find this method more efficient than trying to select individual lines except where a piece of the unwanted vectors can be omitted in the dragged selection box.

Hope this makes sense,
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Remember that if you do a box select from right to left, all vectors that have some part in the box are selected, they do not have to be entirely inside the box.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

FixitMike wrote:Remember that if you do a box select from right to left, all vectors that have some part in the box are selected, they do not have to be entirely inside the box.
+1

I do that all the time in just this scenario. It's a massive time saver.

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by KWiK »

Thanks guys,. I know the left to right and right to left select, and the shift select. (I wish control also worked for select like most every other windows program) . I might have misrepresented the lines by saying vertical hand horizontal. Below is what I have left to do. There were four of these. As you can see rectangular select is not able to select many lines without inadvertently selecting lines going the opposite direction, and array would just not work for this.

Capture.PNG

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Another example where a photo would have eliminated the answer guess work, but then again the guess work provides a lot of useful information that would otherwise not appeared in the post.... :D :D :D :D
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale