drilling hole bigger than bit

dimtil

drilling hole bigger than bit

Post by dimtil »

Hello everyone,

I am using a 4mm 2 flute spiral downcut bit. The holes are a little bit bigger than 4mm..
I want to put a 4mm arbor through the hole but it is loose..
Do you have any ideas what's happening?

Thank you!

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: drilling hole bigger than bit

Post by FixitMike »

The bit is deflecting. It can't be eliminated, although reducing the feed speed may help a little. Suggestion: Use a smaller bit to cut a 3 mm hole, then drill it out on a drill press.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Deflection, or the bit itself it out of specs
Doug

dimtil

Post by dimtil »

It's a machine or a tool issue?? Could I do something for it?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Only calculate your drift/error [assuming it is repeatable] and make the holes that much smaller in software so that they come out the size you want.
[Verify tool diameter with calipers as well, that itself could solve or at least explain your problem]
Doug

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS 510/Trak Bed Mill/Sharp VMC

Post by Gundawg »

Speaking from a machining standpoint a down cut bit would be the worst possible bit to drill a hole there is no where for the swarf to leave the hole. What is the material? I am assuming wood. Even a properly sized drill bit will drill and over sized hole. When precision holes are needed usually the hole is drilled under sized and reamed to the proper diameter speaking for harder materials than wood. A bored hole can be made to be pretty accurate and with experimentation would probably be made to accommodate your arbor size. Generally a .005"-.010" over sized hole will make a good slip fit. Interference fits are usually .002"-.005" undersized. 4MM is a fairly small hole depending on thickness of the material you may be able to find a small bit to bore the hole I would recommend a spiral ramp into the hole using an up cut bit.

kak
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY CNC

Post by kak »

My machine is not perfect, so when milling holes, I always start with a hole that is 0.1mm smaller and when finished, still on the machine table, I try how it fits with the thing that is going into the hole.
But I always make Gcode's for the next sizes, 0.5mm, 0.1mm, 0.15mm, 0.2mm bigger. It takes just one minute to offset a circle a few times and make couple of Gcodes and run them if necessary.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

If the cutter is not exactly perpendicular to the table it will oversize holes.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

On most machines, if you lift up on the router, you will see that the bit tip moves parallel to the gantry travel direction. This same thing happens when the bit is pushed into the material to make a hole, the result being that the entry hole ends up elongated. The answer, of course, is to use a smaller bit and enlarge the hole as described in the other answers.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

FixitMike wrote:On most machines, if you lift up on the router, you will see that the bit tip moves parallel to the gantry travel direction. This same thing happens when the bit is pushed into the material to make a hole, the result being that the entry hole ends up elongated. The answer, of course, is to use a smaller bit and enlarge the hole as described in the other answers.
Sorry Mike, I don't follow. Why does the bit move in X or Y when shifting Z?
Paul Rowntree

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

PaulRowntree wrote:Sorry Mike, I don't follow. Why does the bit move in X or Y when shifting Z?
It moves in Y when you apply a force in the Z direction. The motor carriage hangs off the side of the cross beam. When you pull up on the motor, the resulting torque on the beam (Plus any deflection in the carriage) causes it to twist in the YZ plane and the the bit tip to move in the Y direction. Plunging into the material causes the same upward force on the carriage.

The amount of movement may be trivial, or it can be quite obvious on machines like the Shark. One's choice of bit can affect the amount of movement, a downcut bit would probably increase the problem.

Just to be sure I knew what I was talking about, I ran a quick test. I cut two holes in hard maple, using a 1/4" diameter upcut spiral bit, .625 deep with the Drilling Toolpath. The results were elongated circles. They measured .251" in the X direction and .259" in the Y direction. Note that my Shark Pro Plus has has Paul's bearing rail modification using the Glacern Machine Tools supported linear ball bearing rails, which makes it considerably stiffer than the stock machine.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

Thanks Mike ... makes sense.
Paul Rowntree