Training video low audio volume

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Chuck Keysor
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT alpha 60 x 148

Training video low audio volume

Post by Chuck Keysor »

Hello everyone. I recently upgraded to Aspire Version 9, and am watching the training videos.

However, the audio volume levels of the videos are really very low. I checked all of my Windows audio control levels, and they were already at maximum. So I had to turn my external audio amplifier level up to near max. Even then the audio is not as loud as I'd like it. (It is too easy to fall asleep listening to a quiet, gentle voice.... :wink: )

With my external audio amplifier gain set at max, when a Windows alert tone comes on, it is super loud. And of course when I get any other audio from the Internet, it is super loud, requiring quick adjustment..........................

Is this just me? If it is, I'd like to increase the audio levels of the training videos, but don't see any way to do it. (I just have an auxiliary audio feed from my PC going into an aux audio input of my external amplifier. This arrangement has worked for years.............)

Also, there is some discernable volume variation between different training videos. While some are quiet, some are even MORE quiet than others. One would think they would be processed to provide a better degree of uniformity.

Otherwise, the new videos are great. Thanks, Chuck

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Training video low audio volume

Post by martin54 »

It's not something that I have really noticed but then again I haven't seen many of the videos that have been redone yet, I can fully understand the problem though as it is something that I come across on the internet all the time. Might be worth sending a message to vectric support as it is something they would want to know about, if you have noticed a difference in output levels then I am sure others have as well.
If that is the case it is something they would want to address before they make any more training videos :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

I also have to set my volume to the highest setting. Because I watch most of the video on my iPad I thought that was what my problem was. The videos are great and I thank Vectric for making them.
Glenn

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Well, the videos serve two purposes:

1. To train

2. As a sleep aid to old folks like me.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Just tried a test on a semi-random Aspire training video---Gothic Quatrefoil http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=20

My Logitech "powered" speakers set to about 40%; the "Speaker/Headphone" setting Windows Volume Mixer set to 50; the volume in Microsoft Edge browser video player on the page set to 50%. Her voice rings out at a nice listening level.

You do know that in Volume Mixer you can adjust the "System Sounds" volume independently? I run mine, using the above settings, at "10" and it is nicely subito.

My problem with most online videos is that people master them way too loud. With my speakers at 40% and my system volume at 50% I typically have to shove the YouTube volume control all the way off but one notch.

Chuck Keysor
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Chuck Keysor »

Hello Adze. Thanks for checking out the video and its audio level.

Your comment confirms my observation, in that you said that most audio is too loud, and the Vectric Quatrefoil audio is just right...

That is my point, the level on this audio is FAR lower than then any other on-line audio I ever hear. The audio for Vectric's videos should at least be in the ball park with common program material, not far lower.

I am playing the quatrefoil video now and just now noticed that the audio on one channel is low, and the other channel is even lower, being almost inaudible. Even that is not logical,,,,,,, for a mono instructional video, the level coming from both speakers should be the same.

With the audio editing/mastering that I used to do for making CDs, there was a "Maximize" function, which when invoked, would raise all audio levels on a track up, until the peaks hit just below clipping. That would be the first step that they should take in remastering the audio for the training videos. I'd bet that would bring them in line with the rest of the world.

As to system levels, yes, the mixer allows independent adjustment of system alert tones. But that again is the issue, if I make the system alert tones just right for listening to Vectric/Aspire videos, then they are way too low for the level I set my external amplifier to listen to everything else.

Thanks, Chuck

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

That would be the first step that they should take in remastering the audio for the training videos.
While they are remastering it would be great to add closed caption/subtitles.

Hint for the younger generation: Spindles are quieter than routers and cheaper than a pair of digital hearing aids
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Chuck Keysor wrote:That is my point, the level on this audio is FAR lower than then any other on-line audio I ever hear. The audio for Vectric's videos should at least be in the ball park with common program material, not far lower.
Hello Chuck,

I think you missed my point. I'd rather have that video be at the level it is and have all the other sources of noise out there reduce their volume.

You'll note that not one of my settings was at full. That way I can turn up that which is too soft, turn down that which is too loud. Too many people torque one setting to maximum (up to "11" if you will) and figure they can just alter one other setting. Problem with that is you have to reduce the variable setting so low to compensate for the fixed one being so high that going even quieter is difficult.

I'm happy with the potential that I can go to 10 if I need to but I shouldn't need to. My music will play at an acceptable level. If I want to crank it I've got somewhere to go. If I'm bothering someone else in the area I can turn it down.

Steven

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

adze_cnc wrote:My problem with most online videos is that people master them way too loud. With my speakers at 40% and my system volume at 50% I typically have to shove the YouTube volume control all the way off but one notch.
This reminds me of the story of the old couple where the husband was driving home. His wife called him and said "I was watching the news and there's a car on your highway going the wrong way. Watch out." To which he replied "It's not one car, there must be hundreds going the wrong way."

Maybe it's your system that is too loud. :wink: :wink: :)

I agree with the others that the Vectric video volume is not loud enough. Subtitles are a good idea, too. I turn them on when I watch BBC programs on the TV. (Or should I say "telly"?)

Also, I often lose track of the cursor. I would prefer that it be black, and better yet, with a trail.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Chuck Keysor
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Chuck Keysor »

FYI: I did submit a tech request the other day. This morning I got a reply from Adam Moran saying that my input will be passed on to the people in charge of the videos. Thanks everyone, Chuck