3D boundary offsets

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

murietamike
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna tools IQ

3D boundary offsets

Post by murietamike »

When using the Vectric clip art with Vcarve pro, how do I determine the cut depth on the parameter? I noticed on the 3D roughing and the 3D finishing tool paths, there are boundary offsets. When I set these to .15 it came close to cutting through but gave me a nicer edge. Although, anything greater will cut through. What's the secret to this?

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 3D boundary offsets

Post by Adrian »

To cut the piece out you would generally use the Create Vector Boundary tool to create a vector that can be used to create a profile toolpath.

The boundary offset is generally set to the tool radius to ensure the tool "rolls over" the edge of the model to ensure it is properly finished.

murietamike

Post by murietamike »

That's what I thought but if I set boundary offset to .25 (using a .25 end mill and a .25 ball nose) it cuts through my material on the outside parameter during the finish cut. It shows that on the previews also. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If the model is the same thickness or less than the material then the finishing toolpath will go all the way through as it rolls over the edge. That is expected behaviour. You can use 3D tabs to hold it in place.

murietamike

Post by murietamike »

I appreciate the info. I'm not sure what you mean by adding the 3D tabs. Are you talking about adding them at a profile cutout in 2D? Wouldn't the ball nose take them out too?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

3D tabs when it comes to a model are a different thing. They are shapes that can be added to a model. They are in the download section of your portal account.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

murietamike wrote:I appreciate the info. I'm not sure what you mean by adding the 3D tabs. Are you talking about adding them at a profile cutout in 2D? Wouldn't the ball nose take them out too?
Take a peek at the video tutorials. One I know that uses 3D tabs is the two-sided Swordfish. Doesn't matter one-side or two-side. Just watch to get the idea.

The October 2017 project of the Month has a Deringer replica that is a one-side project layout. I used 3D tabs for the three components to be held in, even though it is a "pierced" layout, meaning the Finish toolpath goes through the material (except where the tabs are of course).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

murietamike

Post by murietamike »

Great. Thanks again.

murietamike

Post by murietamike »

Help again please. I logged into the vectric portal and I don't see where to download the 3D tabs. Also, where can I find the clip art I downloaded?

Thanks again

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

murietamike wrote:Help again please. I logged into the vectric portal and I don't see where to download the 3D tabs. Also, where can I find the clip art I downloaded?

Thanks again
When you have logged in to your portal account, you should see a list of several clipart installers which includes one named "V9 3D Tabs Clipart for VCarve"

You asked "...where can I find the clip art I downloaded?" The clipart downloads are executable files. Run the .exe file(s) and the clipart will be installed for you automatically. Next time you open your VCP, the clipart should appear via the Clipart tab in the software.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

murietamike

Post by murietamike »

I logged in at this address https://portal.vectric.com/account and it gives me a welcome to V & CO. I don't see any clip art installers. I don't remember this page.

Thanks

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

murietamike wrote:I logged in at this address https://portal.vectric.com/account and it gives me a welcome to V & CO. I don't see any clip art installers. I don't remember this page.

Thanks
After you select the product you own, a page should display where you can access your downloads. I did a partial screenshot of my portal page (cropped off my username and pass, etc.)

Does your portal download page look different? It should look about the same or similar (although I'm not sure my download list will be exactly the same as yours.)
Attachments
portal-page-screenshot.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

murietamike

Post by murietamike »

I finally found it. Thanks for hanging with me. What is the V9 3D tabs clipart for Vcave on your list? I have the 3D tabs but not that one.

Thanks again