Image 039.png
John
Maker of Chips

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Clear Coat

Post by dwilli9013 »

Looks awesome John. As soon as my machine is back up foam is the first job I want to run. (putting the new 8020 bed on my Machine)
Love the look of the finish.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Post by John Murphy »

I use EPS foam from time to time. For a clear hardshell coating I use "Surfboard Resin", with good results.
So far I just brush it on, but I plan to try it in my "Critter" sprayer at some point.
I purchase it from Plastic World in Toronto.

Not sure if that's any help with this thread.

John

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

John Murphy wrote:I use EPS foam from time to time. For a clear hardshell coating I use "Surfboard Resin", with good results.
So far I just brush it on, but I plan to try it in my "Critter" sprayer at some point.
I purchase it from Plastic World in Toronto.

Not sure if that's any help with this thread.

John
John, I'm assuming the "Surfboard Resin" is epoxy based, the polyester resin I used on my last project eat the blue stuff. I thought about using some stuff called R-Max, it works fine with polyester resin, but it's a softer foam then the blue stuff when you remove the outside paper.
John
Maker of Chips

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Post by John Murphy »

Hi John.

I'm not sure exactly what type of resin it is, but it goes on the blue construction foam(EPS) without an issue. It gets hard enough that you can sand it, and it can be painted. (I haven't tried to colour it prior to application, but I may in the future.

Just to clarify, EPS foam is not my number one choice for a foam product, but sometimes the customers application and budget allow for it's use.

John

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

dwilli9013 wrote:Looks awesome John. As soon as my machine is back up foam is the first job I want to run. (putting the new 8020 bed on my Machine)
Love the look of the finish.
Thanks Dwayne.

I really like using 8020, it's easy to work with and modify.
John
Maker of Chips

Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Post by Olle »

Interesting. I have been thinking about making a sign using different colors of the thinner foam board you can buy in crafts stores. Cut the letters in one color and then glue them to a board of a different color. Or maybe even glue them together first and cut through the top sheet. Not sure what would happen with the adhesive though, high rpm router bits tend to make a mess in softer materials.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Olle wrote:Interesting. I have been thinking about making a sign using different colors of the thinner foam board you can buy in crafts stores. Cut the letters in one color and then glue them to a board of a different color. Or maybe even glue them together first and cut through the top sheet. Not sure what would happen with the adhesive though, high rpm router bits tend to make a mess in softer materials.
I glued two 3/4" pieces of foam together, had no issues with the glue joints when cutting the sign.
John
Maker of Chips

Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Post by Olle »

I might just give it a go then. I have made several simple signs by painting 1/4" plywood black, and cutting through about 1/8". It tends to chip though, so I figured that some kind of foam would work better. Something like that foam you're using would be perfect, then glue some black poster board to it. Just gotta find some white foam for my next one.

By the way: What kind of glue did you use and how long did you let it dry? I was thinking spray adhesive (like the Elmer's variety you can buy at Wally World), but it's kinda ooey gooey so I don't know if that's the best option.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Olle wrote:By the way: What kind of glue did you use and how long did you let it dry? I was thinking spray adhesive (like the Elmer's variety you can buy at Wally World), but it's kinda ooey gooey so I don't know if that's the best option.
I used Titebond wood glue, I let it dry for several days before cutting. I had no delamination when machining.

I'd recommend testing any spray adhesive on a sample piece of foam, some aerosol propellants can eat the foam.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Clear coat is done and curing. Makes a really nice hard plastic like feel to the sign. There are some minor flaws that I think I can address when I buff it out. All in all I'm very pleased with the outcome.
rockhopper.png
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Sure does look cool! Nice finish!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nice work John. Sure appreciate all the photos as you have progressed. Thanks for sharing. :lol: 8) 8)
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Post by mike1966 »

Where can you buy foam coat

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Lots of delays, mainly due to Harvey, but the R was installed today and the client is a happy camper. Tomorrow is the grand opening so there may be one last picture when the desk in finished.

John
Maker of Chips