PolyLine from XY data

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

PolyLine from XY data

Post by GrandpaB »

I'm trying to create a vector using the Polyline tool from an array of XY data. Is there a way to do this without entering each XY point? I hope there is a way that I can copy the array and then paste it into something in VCarve Pro 10.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: PolyLine from XY data

Post by PaulRowntree »

The CSV gadgets can read X-Y points to make vectors, or X-Y-Z to load toolpaths. You can create Comma Separated Values files from Word, XL, or a program. It has a few built-in commands to make common shapes one-line instructions.
TreeSoft CSV.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
Attachments
CSV.png
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

Paul,

Thanks for the lead and thanks for the CSV gadget. You've been busy with a number of gadgets that are applicable for me and general CNC woodworking,

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

I'm having trouble installing Paul Rowntree's CSV gadget. I tried following the instructions in Rowntree's TreeSoft CSV.pdf file. I down loaded CSV 20130717 and unzipped it. I then copied two *.lua files and the *.htm file to the \gadgets\VCarve Pro 9.0\ folder. However I was not able to find a PostP sub folder within the VCarve Pro 9.0 application folder. I must have missed something in the instructions.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Here is what my Application Data Folder looks like in VCP9.0
vcp9 app folder.png
In the "PostP" folder there are all of the post-processors that come with VCP ... hundreds. You can copy the CSV PP files here, but then you have to scroll through the big list every time.

.... or ... put them in "My_PostP"

In the "My_PostP" there is a file called "Readme.txt" that cautions
If any post processors are placed here, they will become the *only* ones displayed in the Post-Processor list.
So if you put the CSV post-processors in "My_PostP", make sure to also copy the post-processors that you normally use. I copy, not move, these PP so I always have the originals where VCP expects them. If something goes south, pristine versions are good to have.

CSV was written a while ago, before the "My_PostP" structure was introduced (I think). My docs haven't kept up, but I will take care of this on the next release.
Cheers!
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

GrandpaB wrote:I'm having trouble installing Paul Rowntree's CSV gadget. I tried following the instructions in Rowntree's TreeSoft CSV.pdf file. I down loaded CSV 20130717 and unzipped it. I then copied two *.lua files and the *.htm file to the \gadgets\VCarve Pro 9.0\ folder. However I was not able to find a PostP sub folder within the VCarve Pro 9.0 application folder. I must have missed something in the instructions.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.
There are two different areas and it looks like you're only looking in one. The gadgets files are installed in the Pubic Document/Vectric Files folders and from the pathname you've given it seems like you've got that bit right.

The PP files go into the ProgramData area though which is in a different place entirely. Easiest way to get to that is to go the File Menu in VCarve/Aspire and choose Open Application Data Folder. You should then be able to follow on from what Paul has posted above.

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

Thank you gentlemen; all is well in Ohio. CSV is up and running!