Help Please

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Gomer P
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro 6

Help Please

Post by Gomer P »

Hi
I am having issues with the tool paths on vcarve desktop. issues are with the finishing path. my rough cuts are perfect, when I go to do the finishing cut I get random issues with the cut going all the way through the part and not following the vectors correctly. it wants to cut all the way through the material in some places and not in others. I have no idea what I am doing wrong...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Help Please

Post by Adrian »

Is this with a 3D roughing/finishing toolpath?

Gomer P

Post by Gomer P »

yes, I am importing a simple slt file and trying to cut it out from 2" thick material.
I am importing the stl, selecting the item creating a vector, running the roughing tool path and all is great. I run the finising tool path and get really odd results it wants to cut all the way through in some places and not others its leaving areas uncut etc...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Hard to say exactly without seeing the file but did you zero the Z to the same level as the roughing tool when putting the finishing tool in?

Gomer P

Post by Gomer P »

thanks for the help I am not even getting to cutting the parts yet, I can see the issues in vcarve preview

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Going to need to see the actual file or some screenshots to be able to help anymore. I've never come across that before at the preview stage.

Gomer P

Post by Gomer P »

See the attached photos below. Thank You
Attachments
CE433597-85B4-4BC0-A6DE-8AC1CD35267A.jpeg

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I do not know the capabilities of v carve pro desktop with 3d.. First I would look at the depth of the model. Second, I would check to see where in the material the model is setting. Third I would check the roughing pass allowance followed by the finish pass depth of cut.

Bob

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you tried cutting that using 2D toolpaths ?
If it were me I would just draw some vectors & then cut that using profile & pocket cuts, would probably save a lot of time & get a better finish at the same time.

Not sure I can help with your problem though :lol: :lol:

Bob has posted some good info, about the size of the model & it's position in your material block, what machining allowances are you using ?

what bits are you using & are you using the same bit for both the roughing & finishing toolpaths ?

Gomer P

Post by Gomer P »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up going with. A 2D tool path as I could never get the 3D import to cut clean. I did figure out that the 3D finishing cut is not happy if you select an end Mill and only works for me under a ball nose.
Also I discovered that using the bed as zero was giving me issues with the Z as my controller had a default of 40mm safe max. So this was causing the bit not to clear my 2” material.