An anomaly!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 11.5

An anomaly!

Post by sylvan356 »

I am having a problem that I have never seen before. I have attached the file. In essence, if you set 0 to the machine bed to machine the first two toolpaths all works fine. Later I wish to do the inlay from the top of the material and not the machine bed. If I change that setting in the toolpath tab it tells me “ERROR: Model thickness exceeds material thickness”. There is no model in this drawing! In that event “OK” is greyed out and I cannot change 0 from there. However, if I go to the initial job setup on the drawing panel I can make the change there with no problems and then create the tool path I want! What am I missing? Thanks!
Attachments
2 - Machining from the Top.crv3d
(502.5 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: An anomaly!

Post by IslaWW »

Sylvan...
The only thing that seems missing to me is a logical reason to change from Z zero at bottom to the top.

FYI: Your design software and your CNC machine are not capable of making a math mistake. The only reasons that a user would experience different results from "zero to top" or "zero to bottom" would be an inaccuracy in measuring the material or physical placement. In the long run, zero to bottom returns more accurate and consistent results. This does of course, require loosing all the bad habits that zero to top will allow you to get away with.

In most cases those that zero to top have issues with cut thru depth, those that zero to bottom have VCarve or model depth issues. They are usually both solved by accurate material measurement.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Point is thought that the software shouldn't be coming up with that error. To me it looks like something up with that particular file as it doesn't do it on any of my files.

sylvan356
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1 w/Rotary, Aspire 11.5

Post by sylvan356 »

Gary -
I agree with you but there are times when I want to go from the top. I have been using this file (and others like it) for some time and never experienced this issue.
Adrian -
You are right in that the software should not be doing what it is doing. If the problem is in the file I posted I certainly want to know it as then it would be my fault and I need to correct it. If not, then there is an anomaly in the software that should be addressed.
Either way, I cut the file and it cut correctly but I don't like not knowing what the software is doing!