v9 won't open a project after it has been saved

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Re: v9 won't open a project after it has been saved

Post by Bonch »

Here is the latest error I got. I also get the Code 1 error from files I save on my Google drive as discussed above. When it fails to open it removes the file from the recent opened files.
Attachments
2017-08-06_21-43-31.png

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Look in the folder where you saved the file and see if there is a file that begins with a tilde (~). I'm not sure if these files are used by Google drive or Aspire. Either way, they are temporary files and can be safely deleted. Make sure Aspire isn't open and then delete it (them). That should fix the problem.
Steve

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Bonch »

No tildes in either the Google drive or my SSD. It seems that the software is holding something in memory or on the drive that is locking the file out. I have rebooted after the files fail to load and they will then load. It only seems to happen following a save and then trying to reload the file later.

Seems interesting that others are having similar problems. Didn't occur for me till the V9 release.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Bonch wrote:No tildes in either the Google drive or my SSD.
Do you have "Hidden Items" checked in Windows Explorer? I don't remember if tilde files are effected by this setting.
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

It's happened to me ever since version 8. It's rare but annoying. I'm almost certain it's Google drive that is the cause and copying the file to another location seems to fix it for me. Also saves a reboot.
Steve

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

TerryT wrote:I'm not entirely sure what the fix was. I downloaded V9 from the portal. As I said, if I opened an 18,000plus K file in V9 and then saved it. V9 would not open it again. I was thinking maybe it was only happening on my computer so I loaded my v9 on my wife's computer and it did the same thing.
Long story short, I went back to the portal to reinstall it and now it works fine. I did notice, however, that the first time I downloaded and installed v 9.07 and the second time it was v 9.09. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Terry
There was a related issue fixed in 9.008, which I think is the one you came across.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

gary n.

Post by gary n. »

Same thing happened to me today, but I don't have v9--I have v3.5.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

gary n. wrote:Same thing happened to me today, but I don't have v9--I have v3.5.
Was the file saved to your hard drive (NOT a thumb drive)?

You may need to send your file to Vectric Support. You can contact them at support@vectric.com for advice and instructions.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

gary n.

Post by gary n. »

Yes, the file was saved to the hard drive. I did contact support and they said there is no fix for error code 1. Also said I may have computer problem. I did try to reopen the file a couple of hours later and it opened right up, naturally right after I completely redid the drawing and file work. Not sure that I agree with support's answer. Have not sent file to support as yet.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Code 1 generally means something else is accessing the file from my experience. Virus scan, backup software, replication software, cloud services etc. That's why it often works when you try it later as whatever was accessing the file has finished with it by then.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Perhaps Support could have explained it to you better than they did but if what Adrian has said is correct then there wouldn't be anything Vectric could do to fix a code 1 error

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS 510/Trak Bed Mill/Sharp VMC

Post by Gundawg »

I have had the same problem and I use Google Drive it has happened 2 times now very recently.