Stacked Text Clearing Improvement

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Bonch
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Stacked Text Clearing Improvement

Post by Bonch »

I have been working on perfecting a stacked text plaque for my wife for our anniversery. I have it almost perfect but there is still a little bit of waste on the bottom that is not getting cleared by the bits. I know I can change to a much smaller bit but it will add significantly to the time and will clear out the entire bottom profile which is not needed.

Is there a way to add another toolpath to the design below and only clear out the non-cleared areas. I am probably missing something simple like usual but thought I would ask for help.

BTW this is developed from the Vectric training video on the stacked text process with some additional features that I put in as I have learned to make it even more professional.

Thanks for the help as always.
Attachments
Wedding Sign Template - Goudy & Birds of Paradise.zip
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 155 times

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Stacked Text Clearing Improvement

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi Bonch,

Have a look at this thread:
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... xt#p189471
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Bonch »

If I am reading this right, that helps to clean up the side walls of the letters. That isnt the problem so much, it is the gap between the letters that a small amount of material is being left I assume due to the clearance tool being too big to get in as well as the V-bit. I am assuming you need to put a smaller end mill into that area and clear it out which definately would work but I dont want to triple the clearance time which has been the only way so far I have found to clear it out.

Am I missing somehing. I attached the Aspire file above but had to ZIP it due to the size. You can preview the toolpaths and zoom in and see the material left between the letters in some places. I can sand it out but would rather fix it and learn how to prevent it for long term benefit.

Thanks for the information you attached. That was certainly interesting.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Sorry, but I can't open your Aspire 9 file with Aspire 8.5.

You can draw one or several vectors around the zone you want to clean up and use them as a boundary in the 3d finishing toolpath parameters.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I can't see anything missing by running the preview. Which part isn't being machined?

The only bit I can see that looks a little odd in the design is the way the y meets the N and the way the two F's meet. Both just need a little adjustment of the vectors.

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Bonch »

Adrian,

Attached is a picture of the preview image with some of the areas not cut completely highlighted. Thanks for taking the time to look at this and try to help me.
Attachments
Picture.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

They are cut it's just that they are cut with the V-bit rather than the endmill. A couple of minutes with a bit of sandpaper will blend them in if the surface finish is noticeably different.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Check out this link: 3d tutorials and look at F12- Rest Machining. I believe this is relevant to what you want to accomplish here.

Allan

Bonch
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Bonch »

Thanks guys for the help. I kept trying different things and came across this video that helped simplify an option in my mind that I continued to formulate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OdNRbYCFAk

In the end, I came up with a pretty clean version of the process that I can live with and it only added about 20 extra minutes to the entire sign.
Attachments
Clean Up.jpg

BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Post by BArnold »

I eliminated that issue by filing a small flat on the tip of a 30° V bit I use for stacked test. The flat is no more than 1/32", doesn't affect the v-carving and completely erases the fuzzy ridges like you got.
Bill Arnold
VCarvePro, PhotoVCarve, SketchUp, UGS
Member of Mensa and NRA

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

BArnold wrote:I eliminated that issue by filing a small flat on the tip of a 30° V bit I use for stacked test. The flat is no more than 1/32", doesn't affect the v-carving and completely erases the fuzzy ridges like you got.
This. Either put a flat on a V-Bit, or use an engraving bit with a flat. Either way, set it up as an engraving bit in your tool database, so that it previews correctly.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca