Owl coated with metal

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Owl coated with metal

Post by garylmast »

I modeled this owl in ZBrush and decided to do a double sided cut with the new V9 Aspire feature. It definitely made things easier. However, the first time around, because I feathered the wings to nothing, when I machined it, the edges blew out. After giving both top and bottom sides of the wings a few millimeters base, the second time around it went pretty good.

Then I saw an advertisement about spraying real metal coatings, I thought this would be the perfect model to try it on. Although the cost of the coating and special cup gun and other equipment was quite expensive, I am well pleased with the outcome. Since it's real metal, I'm thinking about spraying water on it and letting it sit to get a rust effect. It has a 24-inch wing span and is 15-inches tall.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg
IMG_1830.jpg

MTSO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: salecnc XJ1224

Re: Owl coated with metal

Post by MTSO »

Gary, that is stunning!. I haven't upgraded yet but if that's what you can do in V9 I'm there.
The metal spray looks awesome.

regards

Brian

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Wow that looks awesome. Can you provide the name of the metal finish you used? Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Thanks guys for the compliment. I bought the supplies from a company called Metalier Coatings, based out New Zealand, but has a U.S. Distributer in Indiana. ( https://usa.metaliercoatings.com ). The metal finishes are Aluminium, Brass, Bronze, Copper, Iron, Gunmetal Bronze (the one I used) and Gold. The smallest kit, which consisted of a pound of metal, the resin and catalyst, thinner and freight cost about $250. It took half the kit to spray my project. You also need a cup gun with a 2.3mm tip, I got from Northern Tool and digital scales and metal strainer I got from Amazon. Then a gallon of Acetone for cleaning and a lot of fine sandpaper and steel wool and a good arm for all the sanding you will do after it cures. The company will give you videos and a manual that has all the mixing ratios after you purchase.

Although it was a little costly, and this was my first attempt, I think it is indistinguishable to any bronze casting I've seen and something I can do instead of sending it to a foundry.

Gary

MTSO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: salecnc XJ1224

Post by MTSO »

HAHA........Finally a product that comes from my country and not yours!. Best of all they are just 10 minutes away from where I live.....bonus.
I must look them up as the product look great.
Gary, do you have any pictures of you machining the owl as it looks pretty complex?.

regards

Brian

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Really like this carving. Did you carve the legs and talons separately?
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I did two side machining on all the parts. I separated the different parts in ZBrush and saved them as individual stl files. Because of the length of my mills, I sliced the body of the owl. The same problem I had with the thickness of the part with the wings, I had problems machining the claws, so I cheated and 3D printed them. Running tiny mills without breaking them with my 5-hp spindle is a challenge, so 3D printing comes in handy.

The two-sided feature in Aspire made this a fairly simple project. Looking online, I found other suppliers for powdered metal and resin for a fraction of the cost, so now I know the ratios to mix it and have the necessary equipment, I will be doing more models like this. I'm really thrilled how this one turned out.

Gary
Attachments
Owl Parts.JPG

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

I'm really thrilled how this one turned out.

As well you should be..... Some pretty astounding work. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Beautiful work. I like the idea of the metal coating, may have to give that a try.

I also like the marrying of two 3D machining.

Thanks for sharing.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

FWIW - I will be doing presentations on Metal Coating, Marbleizing, and Resin Inlay at the Vectric User Group in Vegas!

(Cool job on the Eagle, Gary!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Kru82
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by Kru82 »

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

This is a great site and where I got the Owl and is a good source for ZBrush components and Tutorials. I then bought it into ZBrush to slice it into desired parts and do some other modeling. When I was first got ZBrush I purchased their 12-part Primate Tutorial, which helped me intensely in the learning process of the software.

I went back to see how I first posted this thread and see that it was misleading that I created this model, instead of the modeling process I did do in ZBrush. For that I'm sorry. However, from Badking's tutorials and other videos I have on ZBrush, it's something easy to create in ZBrush. Again, I'm sorry for any misconceptions.

Gary

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

This is typically an example of what can be achieved with a "simple" 3 axis CNC and a combination of several techniques (machining, 3d printing).

We used the same method more than once for industrial orders, which I can unfortunately not publish.

One can even produce parts that are not that easy to machine with a 5 axis CNC, and generally at a much higher price.

Of course, we cannot produce a mechanical steel part like this. We have to cut the model, produce different parts and re-assemble them. But for mockups, molds, decorative parts,, … it's often a very competitive solution.

Unfortunately, for most customers this kind of parts require 5 axis and they won't ask for a quotation.

Pretty good job.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

Post by scottart »

Fascinating. So I am guessing that the legs were two sided machine jobs done separately than attached?

I am also adding Z brush to my tool box, but is a much longer learning curve than Aspire. Glad to hear that the new two side Aspire carving tools helped, as I have big plans for them..

thanks for posting. great model by the way..

scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

Post by scottart »

see you in Vegas