Creating dished heart shape

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Re: Creating dished heart shape

Post by WaltS »

Thanks Martin. I was actually thinking what else I might need to do and something like that crossed my mind but wasn't really sure how to go about it. So I'm cutting the heart in half making two separate rails and using those for each half of the heart? I will give that a go and see where I end up next.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't know how it will work out, not got software on this computer to try but know that 4DThinker does that with some of the moulding toolpath stuff he does, no doubt he will educate us both latter :lol: :lol:

The other thing to try is using the create square corners tick box as this can have quite an effect on certain shaped vectors :lol: :lol:

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

So here is what I get after having made the heart larger, cutting into 2 halves for rails, and reversing the paths to cut inside the rails. Not sure where to proceed from here, but it seems to be a start.

Added - Here's half the preview along with the rail and profile for that half. I'm pretty sure I must need to adjust the profile but not sure how.
Attachments
heart1.JPG
heart half.JPG
heart rail.JPG
heart half tp.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I have had a bit of a play as well Walt, as much in the dark as you are but from my experimenting I was getting better results if I cut the heart in half horizontally rather than vertically, still not very good but slightly better, will play about with profile shape & size a bit more :lol: :lol: :lol:

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thanks Martin!! I need to take a break from it and go out to eat for her birthday. I'll get back to it and any other suggestions later. Maybe something will come to me over dinner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Hopefully 4DThinker will come along & educate us both :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

You could use the fluting toolpaths to create the dish...

~M
Attachments
heart 1.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

mezalick wrote:You could use the fluting toolpaths to create the dish...

~M
The fluting toolpath is something that I have never used or in fact even really looked at but I should really as I know it has many different uses :lol: :lol:

Not got any further with the moulding toolpath but have had a play at using a dome/dish model & a heart shaped vector as a machining boundary, had some pretty good results with that. Good thing about doing it that way is that heart shapes vary a bit in shape & you can pick one that you find the most pleasing :lol: :lol:
Not sure what you want to do about the outside shape but if you just want the heart shape with a vertical edge then it is easy to offset your initial heart vector outwards & then just do a profile cut :lol:

Dwaynes suggestion of using the Design & make model is obviously worth looking at & the model is part of one of their free projects which can't be bad :lol: :lol: That would be half the job done for you straight away :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

So, here's what I got using the Molding toolpath...
Just a bit more tweaking, or a simple pocket to clean up the center area.

I used the outside vector for the top section and the small V for the bottom.....

~M
Attachments
Heart dish.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Not 100% sure on how you have done that Michael, have you split the heart into 3 open vectors ? Left & right hand sides & the bit at the bottom that you used the V shaped profile with ? :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

martin54 wrote:Not 100% sure on how you have done that Michael, have you split the heart into 3 open vectors ? Left & right hand sides & the bit at the bottom that you used the V shaped profile with ? :lol:

Martin,
Here's how I did it.
#1 Top Vector with Molding Toolpath
#2 Bottom Vector with Molding Toolpath ( Starting point of profile used is opposite than first molding toolpath )
#3 Pocket toolpath to clean up center..

Thanks, this was interesting.

Michael
Attachments
Heart dish 1.JPG
Heart dish 2.JPG
Heart dish 3.JPG
Heart dish 4.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the explanation Michael, I did actually try cutting it in 2 parts horizontally as you have done but I had cut it much higher up than you have & the results I was getting were nowhere near what you have despite trying a range of different profile shapes.
So looks like I might have been on the right lines, just need a lot more experience :oops: :oops:

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thanks for the input Michael. Before I try any other options I would like to get this one sorted out. And before I start pulling my hair out further I think my main question now is this:

You used 2 different profiles, it is obvious they are not the same. How did you choose 1. the length and 2. the radius of each?

My profile is obviously longer, which has something to do with my results (besides the direction we cut the heart). And if I took my original profile and just shortened it up, how would I build the second from that? I can only live with trial and error for so long before I throw in the towel.

Martin, I am looking at the other options too. I really would like to figure this one out first so I don't confuse myself more though. :wink:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

WaltS wrote:Thanks for the input Michael. Before I try any other options I would like to get this one sorted out. And before I start pulling my hair out further I think my main question now is this:

You used 2 different profiles, it is obvious they are not the same. How did you choose 1. the length and 2. the radius of each?

My profile is obviously longer, which has something to do with my results (besides the direction we cut the heart). And if I took my original profile and just shortened it up, how would I build the second from that? I can only live with trial and error for so long before I throw in the towel.

Martin, I am looking at the other options too. I really would like to figure this one out first so I don't confuse myself more though. :wink:

Walt,
When you use the molding toolpath quite often you'll get an error message saying that the "space" is too small , or that you have overlapping tool paths"...something to that effect.
The curve of the heart is from your design,,I think.
Originally I got the error message so I shortened up your curve profile to make it fit.

The smaller "V" vector needed to be calculated based upon the distance of your arc and the perpendicular vector length from the outer vector and the inner "V".

I hope this helps....

Michael
Attachments
Overlapping vectors 1.JPG
Overlapping vectors 2.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

WaltS
Vectric Wizard

Post by WaltS »

Thanks again Michael! That helps a lot and it also just dawned on me the the small V was cut on the "outside" (or bottom) as opposed to the inside like the heart was. I was wondering why your V was positioned where it was, but now it makes sense.

And yes, I'm well aware of those error messages, although I wasn't getting one with mine. Odd.

As for the 2 different profile curves though, how did you determine the one for the small V as it is different in curvature than the one for the heart, or at least it looks different to me from the illustration? Or are they the same and it's an optical illusion?

Thanks for your help!

Edit - In your first post with the 4 diagrams they look different, but now looking closer at your latest diagrams just above they look the same. :?