broken bit

garylyb
Model of CNC Machine: axiom

broken bit

Post by garylyb »

I was using a whiteside 1/4 inch compression bit to cut out a 10 inch circle on 7/8 inch thick hard maple.

I was using 150 ipm .25 pass depth and the bit and the bit broke about 3/4 inch deep into the cut.

I had used the same bit and speeds cutting 18mm baltic birch with no problems.

Was pass depth or speed or both too much? I put in a 1/4 spiral downcut bit to finish it with no problems.

Thanks,

Gary

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: broken bit

Post by 4DThinker »

When a bit breaks while I'm using a CNC it is almost always a Whiteside bit and always while cutting deep into hardwood. I suspect the carbide they use is more easily broken than what some other brands use. Downcut and compression bits more likely than upcut spirals as they don't eject what they've cut as well as an upcut bit will.

garylyb
Model of CNC Machine: axiom

Post by garylyb »

Well that's interesting. I'll order a different bit now.

Thanks.

CrowsWW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Post by CrowsWW »

I use tools from https://www.vortextool.com/
they are really good in my opinion.

also you will need to adjust your Feeds & Speeds for each type of wood and tool you are working with.

look at the attached chip load chart. there are all kinds out there just find the one you like.

The Vortex Tool Selection Guide App is available for iPhone, iPad, Android Phone, or Android Tablet.
The App also includes calculators to determine chip-load, feed rate, RPM and metric conversions. I use this all of the time if remember to bring my cell phone
Attachments
Vortex Tool Chipload Chart.pdf
(66.74 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
I have a day job to support my wood habit!