Tool number logic?

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Tool number logic?

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm working on creating an ATC post processor for a machine that has 5 tool positions: 1-5.

Is there any way to have an ATC post processor check tool numbers for values that might be out of range as it processes a group of tool paths? The logic in my g-code macro (used with LinuxCNC) figures out where to send the Z-mount using simple math, essentially T * Xwidth/5. Should a tool number of 6 or greater show up this would lead my Z mount out of machine limits.

I'm looking for the best way to make sure no tool numbers greater that 5 ever show up in a cut file. Ideally Aspire would warn me if my tool numbers used exceed the available slots on my tool rack while it is processing my tool paths.

Thanks for any insights anyone has.

4D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool number logic?

Post by Adrian »

You could put the checks in the macro itself. That's essentially how I do similar tasks but the ShopBot code does have more processing options than standard code.

Basically the code is written by the post processor and then when the code is run it objects to any parameters out of bounds.

I can't think of any way of controlling it prior to that stage without running a gadget or similar in addition to generating the code.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

4D...
I do the same with WinCNC, except that the system has a "positions" parameter. in my little ATC the "T" (tools) parameter is 4. Any "Tool" number greater than 4 pauses the machine.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks Adrian and Gary. I'm at the point where I'm hoping my g-code macro supports if-then logic: IF [T GT 5] GOTO ...(jumps over the tool change routine). More code will be needed, and I'm hoping there is a way to STOP/PAUSE a file in progress with a message that'll pop up in LinuxCNC.

4D

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Good luck with it. If there is any insight I (we) can provide from the viewpoint of how others do a given process, I would be glad to oblige.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com