Aspire and touch screen?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Warped Mind
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Aspire and touch screen?

Post by Warped Mind »

Is Aspire compatible with touch screen monitors? I think it would be so great to be able to draw vectors on a touch screen monitor? Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Aspire and touch screen?

Post by Adrian »

Not all touch screens are the same. Some don't have the resolution as they're designed for fingers pushing buttons rather than fine drawing control. What you need is one that has the ability to use a stylus as they generally have the higher resolutions and the price tags to go with it.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I've often wondered if the Microsoft Surface computer would have enough resolution to be practical for sculpting models. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has one. Besides, I would have to temporarily install Aspire on it to try it out and that makes me a little uncomfortable for some reason. (Like I would be breaking the law.)

I currently use separate (indirect pen interaction from the display) Wacom tablets and they are great. Wacom also makes several Cintiq models that are suitable for direct pen interaction, but seem overpriced to me even for their smallest one (13" for about $1000). But, then again, you can't play if you don't pay!

Our fellow Vectric Aspire User, Tim Hornshaw has had success using various touch screens over the years, as I recall. Maybe he will see this thread and chime in with his most recent experiences and advice.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I just purchased a new Asus 2 in 1 laptop with a Wacom Bamboo pin. The touch screen works well, but with the Bamboo pin it great! I like it because you touch the pin directly to the screen, I don't have to be coordinated enough to draw on a tablet and watch the screen :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I have a n HP laptop with a touch screen and it works with Aspire but just barely. Accuracy isn't the greatest for precision. I haven't tried a pen or stylus yet. Still doing some research.
Steve

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

I could only be happy with a computer touch screen that I can place in my lap or on a desk surface (like drawing on paper), works with a stylus, and features the same resolution and precision that a good quality pen tablet (or like a Cintiq) provides.

I'm following this thread with high hope!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Here's the one I just bought.
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q524UQ/

It flips over to be a tablet.

And here's the Bamboo pin.

http://bamboo.wacom.com/
John
Maker of Chips

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

That's interesting, but the video (at least the first one) shows the woman drawing on paper to transfer to the tablet. Does the pen also draw directly on the tablet? Is the software smart enough that I can rest my hand on the tablet while drawing so that it only captures the pen strokes?
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

dealguy11 wrote:That's interesting, but the video (at least the first one) shows the woman drawing on paper to transfer to the tablet. Does the pen also draw directly on the tablet? Is the software smart enough that I can rest my hand on the tablet while drawing so that it only captures the pen strokes?
Have not tried it yet (cause I didn't buy it for that), but you are suppose to be able to take notes on any surface and transfer them to the computer.

I have used the pen directly on the laptop/tablet, Microsoft has a app called Windows Ink. When you are using the pen the touch screen turns off so you can rest your hand on the screen.

When you flip the laptop over into tablet mode the keyboard turns off.

All in all, it's pretty slick.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi John,

When you have a chance, can you try out your setup in Aspire for sculpting a model and give us some feedback please?

There have been many products for writing/drawing on paper that have a closely positioned sensor to record the vectors for transfer to a computer. That's not quite what we have in mind though.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi John,

When you have a chance, can you try out your setup in Aspire for sculpting a model and give us some feedback please?

There have been many products for writing/drawing on paper that have a closely positioned sensor to record the vectors for transfer to a computer. That's not quite what we have in mind though.
Michael,

I'd be happy to. What kind of sculpting test would you like?

I bought the Bamboo specifically to use with Aspire and so far as a noob to sculpting I'm very happy with the results. The Bamboo acts the same as a Wacom tablet in that it's pressure sensitive.
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

I'm thinking just load any model, go into the sculpting window and try out the various modes while using the pen stylus directly on your touch screen.

That should give you some indication whether the touch screen has sufficient resolution to be able to use the stylus for sculpting purposes. Maybe try sculpting on an eagle wing - or something else with fine detail.

Feedback on things like responsiveness (when using the stylus on screen, does it lag or is the result instantaneous?), is the touch screen pressure-sensitive like a pen tablet (pressing down harder results in an enhanced strength response when sculpting). You know - stuff like that.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

OK, I'll report back. Remember this will be from a sculpting noob :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, John. Looking forward to hearing your observations.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

OK, instead of just giving my observations I thought I'd give you a video.

I'm not trying to be creative here, just noodling around a bit.

The pen with my laptop in Aspire seem to be very responsive. I'm not sure about the pressure sensitive part, not sure what I should be seeing.

John
Maker of Chips