octagonal plate 2

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Re: octagonal plate 2

Post by redwood »

Martin, I've used Bar Glass Resin with good results for filling depressions. It's expensive, but for as small as those are, it wouldn't be too bad. It is self leveling and does require multiple coats
Mark
Pioneer, CA

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

redwood wrote:Martin, I've used Bar Glass Resin with good results for filling depressions. It's expensive, but for as small as those are, it wouldn't be too bad. It is self leveling and does require multiple coats
redwood, thanks for the suggestion. these two were just experimental so I kept the size quite small, would possibly be looking to make these at a larger size although still not huge :lol: :lol:

I think Glasscast is the same sort of stuff you are talking about. that is what I am planning to use if I make any to sell but thought I would save myself some money while experimenting by using Water clear polyester resin :oops: Apparently it shrinks when you have a thin layer over a wide(ish) area :lol: :lol:

Glasscast is used on tables & bar tops which is why I think it may be the same sort of stuff & it's also not cheap :lol: :lol: It is self levelling & as these will only have 3d models that are a few mm thick I can get away with one single pour, can't remember what the max single pour thickness is but it is less than I will need for these :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

OK so this is what happened when I used water clear polyester casting resin for anyone who is thinking about using it, lucky for me it hadn't fully cured & I was able to remove it. Have now done a resin pour with Glasscast Resin & am waiting on it curing before taking pictures. Don't think there will be a problem this time round as I have already tried it on one of the other plates, you live & learn from your mistakes :oops: :oops:
dish7.jpg
dish5.jpg
dish6.jpg

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

So Martin, if I remember correctly, I had to put a thin seal coat on first and then I needed to put 2 more coats, to fill a carved relief that was about 1/2" deep. Are you coating the whole plate, or just the recess?
Mark
Pioneer, CA

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

redwood wrote:So Martin, if I remember correctly, I had to put a thin seal coat on first and then I needed to put 2 more coats, to fill a carved relief that was about 1/2" deep. Are you coating the whole plate, or just the recess?
The Glasscast instructions are along the same lines, for porous materials they say to first apply a thin seal coat, allow to cure, key & then there is a procedure for either one or 2 applications depending on final thickness required. At 1/2" thick then yes it would have been 2 coats.
I sealed the models with a shellac sanding sealer so didn't think there was a need for a seal coat, the resin thickness is also quite thin at about 4mm so I only had to do one application :lol: :lol:
Hard to tell from the pictures but they both look to have turned out quite well, I would be happy to go ahead & create a larger plate or dish based on these results.
dish12.jpg
dish10.jpg
dish11.jpg