Celtic designs painted

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Celtic designs painted

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

Two of the Celtic designs that are almost done painted and ready for finishing. Two more colors That will be getting different designs. The red design the Fill is actually black.
Attachments
image.jpeg

slowoodworker
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterparts Benchtop Pro

Re: Celtic designs painted

Post by slowoodworker »

Nicely done. Do you paint the recessed design by hand? Your design would lend itself to a vinyl mask (overlay) and spray paint if you do several.

I have a couple of coasters I'd like to make (3-1/2" Diameter) for Xmas, but there's a lot of detail, and I haven't figured out how to color the recesses without going blind.

This Cool Cubes is one: http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/proje ... cubes.html

The other is part of an Aztec calendar (link is on another computer, so I don't have it handy).

I'd love suggestions from forum members.

--Rich Farwell

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

What works for me for doing fill of a different color than the foreground is to do the foreground before cutting the pattern. Then, if bleeding of color from from the carved areas might be a problem, I coat the entire project with a clear coat to seal the carved areas. Then I use a water based paint/stain to fill the carved areas. You can be fairly generous in you application as you simply wipe off the excess from foreground. I use a damp paper towel or lint free cloth wrapped around a flat block of wood to do this. This gives you nice crisp edge that does not wick the paint/stain out of the finer details. On larger projects I find it best to do smaller sections because the working time of some acrylic paints is pretty short.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I do the something similar. Sealer,dye.2 or3 shellac coats and a wax coat then cut. Sealer again after cut if needed and a wax coat.
then paint the fill with water color. wipe as I go. the wax makes it easy to remove the excess.Get all wax off the Polycoat.
learned all this from this forum.

I cannot use spray paint. It smells up the whole house. I cannot breathe the stuff. I am looking into getting a
HVLP gun to use water color paint and the dyes I use.

Don

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

Coasters can get very wet in humid locations... I would fill the detail with colored epoxy resin. I do some pretty detailed text/logos and I always set my "Start Depth" to .02" or .03" on all my toolpaths involved in the surface. Then I leave it on the CNC and do my fill work or painting. When it is dry I mill the surface to take off the same as my start depth. That makes the fill or paint in the detail exactly what I wanted it to look like. I do a lot of maple and after milling I use 220 grit on my orbital sander, leaves the detail perfect.
Jim Williams

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Jim,
Thanks for sharing your process. I may have to try that out.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop