Can motors overheating cause movement to stop?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lagadishimorto
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: blackfoot4x8

Can motors overheating cause movement to stop?

Post by lagadishimorto »

running JOB in vcarve pro 8.5 .about 3.5 hours into a 4 hour job when all axis movement stops. I can see the code lines still scrolling down but the router not moving .So I turn router off, Estop reset and try to jog using keyboard.No movement .Close Mach 3. Turn off power to motors and drivers for couple minutes and then power up again . Open Mach 3 and try Jogging motors and lo n behold all axis moving again.Since motors were hot.Turned all off againg.will investigate further tomorrow . Any ideas as to what could have caused this phenomenon of no axis movement?

Machine is 4x8 blackfoot

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Can motors overheating cause movement to stop?

Post by highpockets »

The motors are designed to take running hot. If all axis stopped at the same time, I'd be more inclined to check communications between the computer and controller.
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

In Agreement with HighPockets

Communications shut down between computer & controller. I would verify all cable connections are firmly connected/attached and in good condition. Then I would double check all settings on computer that has anything to do with standby, battery saver, screensaver, etc... On my notebook I have all settings disabled that have anything to do with standby. I have actually had carved jobs that have lasted 5-6 hours with no problems.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

The stepper power supply may have a thermal shutdown circuit for safety. Are you operating anywhere near its rated current capacity?

If it fails again, try to directly measure the PS output voltage (between the power supply and the stepper driver boards) and see if it is stable. If so, see if the outputs of the stepper drivers are showing pulses (drivers could also have thermal shutdowns, but it is unlikely that all three would trip at once)
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If the DRO's in mach3 were still moving but your machine was not then communication between computer & controller would be the first place I would look. How are you connected ? Parallel port, usb or ethernet ?
Parallel port is the cheapest but also the most unstable of the 3 methods. When I was running mach3 the control computer only had mach3 installed & windows was chopped down to remove any updating, power saving or monitoring functions.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

If you are using the parallel port, then the issue would likely be with your drives.
If you are using a USB or ethernet controller, then I'd look at the connection. But normally, if you lose the connection, then you'd get an error message, and Mach3 would stop.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com