Adding a sheet without having to "nest" parts to get them

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
keastab
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Solsylva vbearing 45"x72"

Adding a sheet without having to "nest" parts to get them

Post by keastab »

I have a file that is set up for a 4'x8' sheet goods (simple vacuum box from shopbot) And I have a machine that is 36"x57" cutting surface. when I import the dxf file I get 3 sheets of 4'x8' parts.
what I'm trying to do is add sheets to the job and put parts on them that I can fit on my machine. I can get it to work if I Nest the largest piece 8 or 9 times and then move the parts to that sheet and the delete the biggest part I nested, so I can get the sheets. But I'd like the option to just add a sheet and move the dxf parts to that sheet. Is there an easier way to get a blank sheet than what I have been doing? I'm looking in the online manual and watching tutorials all along, but have not found out if I can do it.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Re: Adding a sheet without having to "nest" parts to get the

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear KeaStab

As you know there is more than one way to skin a cat and no-doubt others will post ideas here for you to choose from.

If I was doing it. I would set the 'job size' (in Job Setup) to the size of the machine bed (sheet size) am I right 36"x57"? Then I would create a layer for each sheet I will need to cut with an extra layer with all the parts on to start with. Then I would (right Click) move to layer each piece fitting them and nesting them as I go until there are none left on the start layer. I would move them rather than copy them then I can keep a track of how many are left.

If there are pockets and drillings and things in each piece you are moving from layer to layer to get the best fit, then I would group them until they are all positioned how I want them.

Anyway best of luck, I will keep watching this post to see what suggestions other have.

Yours sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid

keastab
Vectric Apprentice

Post by keastab »

sort of like this but without the nesting
what I'd like to be able to do without nesting a bogus part first.
what I'd like to be able to do without nesting a bogus part first.
Gah!!!! Martin I never even considered doing it that way. I have it set up in layers now as
1. through holes,
2. dado or pocket @.25 inch
3. profile layers
in black red and blue colors from my cad programs for easy selection of layers to cut and make a template out of just like cabinetparts pro templating. how can I add the next bit without messing up my layering setup that I have now? Will grouping and then ungrouping really allow my to do those 3 4'x8' sheets all on my small 36x57 job sheet without messing up existing layering?
Last edited by keastab on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Martin Reid »

Continued..

Yes, that will work. Drag the layer tab off the side to get a floating 'list'.

Create one layer for each 'sheet' then (right click) and move each component onto its own sheet filling up your sheets as you go.

Martin

keastab
Vectric Apprentice

Post by keastab »

Thanks Martin.
sometimes it is sooo easy to overlook the obvious solution and go searching for a more complicated operation.

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

that works, sorta, but the vectors that had the coloring associated with them being pockets, etc lose thier colors and other properties.
what we need is a hierarchy to layers like we have with 3d
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When you group vectors on layers the layers within are preserved when you ungroup. If they're not then check which ungroup command you're using. It has to be "Ungroup back to original objects layer" rather than the group layer.

There can be multiple groups within each group and multiple individual vector layers and group layers.

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

thats my problem adrian, ungrouped to wrong selection
In the heart of Tn

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

nope cant get it to work.
i make 3 objects, each on a individual layer
group 2 of them, move to another layer thier original layers show no drawing in the layer.
ungroup back onto original layers, the layer i put them on doesnt have anything any more, the objects are back to thier original layers
In the heart of Tn

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear SawMiller

Sorry you can't make it work for you.

It's a mainstay technique for me when rearranging parts from an architectural DXF to vCarve. I must admit I don’t have the need to have different colours on a particular layer, although do colour individual layers.

Message to KeaStab... Are you still following this tread? How did you get on?

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid
Attachments
Layers.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

sawmiller wrote:nope cant get it to work.
i make 3 objects, each on a individual layer
group 2 of them, move to another layer thier original layers show no drawing in the layer.
ungroup back onto original layers, the layer i put them on doesnt have anything any more, the objects are back to thier original layers
If you ungroup back to original layers then they will go back to the layer on which they were created. If you want them to go back to the layer on which the group was created then you need to ungroup back to the group layer instead. They will only exist on that layer as a single layer though not multiple if you ungroup to the group layer.

You can't move layers and then ungroup them to a layer on which they never existed in that form. You need to use the move/copy to layer command for that.

keastab
Vectric Apprentice

Post by keastab »

Thanks to all the help on here I finally got it the way I want. and have the sheets ordered and ready to cut out. I use a little bit more sheet goods due to the small size of my current machine but that is soon to change. going to build a 52" x 110" r&p crossbreed using steel table and some cnc routerparts pieces for the gantry motors.
this works for me THANKS!
this works for me THANKS!

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear KeaStab

I'm glad you got there in the end.

It is always a problem getting 'shapes' to fit any given sheet without excessive waste. Believe me it gets worse when you have grain direction to take into account. It also doesn't get any easier when you increase the size of the bed, it turns out you just want to do bigger parts.

Anyway glad I could be of some help
Martin

keastab
Vectric Apprentice

Post by keastab »

'm glad you got there in the end.

It is always a problem getting 'shapes' to fit any given sheet without excessive waste. Believe me it gets worse when you have grain direction to take into account. It also doesn't get any easier when you increase the size of the bed, it turns out you just want to do bigger parts.

Anyway glad I could be of some help
Martin

Oh no :shock: don't tell me that, I convinced the wife that a larger bed would solve ALL my problems, oh and cut her some new kitchen cabinets. I have found out that the ABS sheeting I'm working with does have a grain %$^$^&%^ A ND it absorbs water if not used right away, so if I want to vacu-form a part I have to DRY it,then form it then cut it out (1 extra step to make things good (sigh)). Plastic absorbing water, who would have believed it.

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Post by sawmiller »

i see you ended up creating extra sheets keastab, thats what i ended up doing also to organize by the sheet and by the layer both.
making the same project. have fun
In the heart of Tn