octagonal plate

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

octagonal plate

Post by martin54 »

Thought I better post this after saying that I was happy with the old way of 2 sided machining in another thread :lol: :lol: I've never had a problem but maybe I have just been lucky, any existing 2 sided files will more than likely stay as they are rather than being converted but as I need to learn how to use the new features then any new work will be done with the new 2 sided set up in Aspire V9

This is the first of those jobs, 2 rail sweep for the shape & the thistle model has been reduced in height using the embossing tool, this is pretty much straight off the machine, had a quick rub with a toothbrush but there were next to no fuzzies after cutting, it will be sanded & then the centre part will be filled to a depth of about 2mm with Glasscast Resin which will cover the thistle model & give a smooth bottom surface. The rest of it will probably be varnished to match the glasscast finish.
octo1.jpg
octo2.jpg
octo3.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: octagonal plate

Post by highpockets »

Beautiful job Martin. I really like the design.

I really like the two sided feature although one of my existing double sided jobs is giving me some trouble.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

LIKING it Martin ! :)
Nice finish off the machine!!
Congrats on a pleasing plate and and good work on the model:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I agree with liking the design and found the thistle a nice since I was working on some earlier today. Thank you for posting it.

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Very nice Martin, now I guess I will have to learn it too. I was always happy with my way of doing 2 sided prior to this upgrade.

Joe

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Very nice design Martin! Please post a pic of the finished product.
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the comments people, yes will post in Gallery when it's finished but that probably won't be for a week or two, got some vinyl sign work to do this week & that's what pays the bills :lol: :lol:

Joe, I was quite Happy doing 2 sided work before this new feature was released. If I have to cut any of my old 2 sided files I will just cut them as they are rather than convert them :lol: :lol:

Any new work however will be done using the new 2 sided feature in Aspire, I just need to get use to using it :lol: :lol: , sure there will be a lot of people glad of the changes :lol: :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Nice to see some of your work...
Looks great.

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

mezalick wrote:Nice to see some of your work...
Looks great.

Michael
Agreed, Very nice representation of your talent Martin. Hoping maybe you will start showcasing a bit more or your work.
Thanks for sharing that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Following on a bit from my original post having cut this on the machine how do I go about finishing it? This is the area that I need to get a handle on, no good producing a reasonable piece of work if your finishing sucks :lol: :lol:
How would the proper woodworkers on the forum go about sanding & sealing this please ??

I intend to use a layer of Glasscast Resin in the bottom which will cover the 3d model & give a flat surface. My original plan was to coat the whole of the plate with Glasscast Resin but the supplier has told me that you need a perfectly flat surface & it won't work on most of that plate shape lol, been told that the viscosity is very low & it will basically just run off.

So how would the experts in finishing go about sanding the whole thing & what would be a good finish to apply to the bottom of the plate & the rim/edges ? Thought a varnish of some sort might be the best option to blend in with the resin layer that is covering the model :lol: :lol:

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Martin, great piece, very creative.

For new techniques I usually do a few sample pieces to test out different methods.

How I would proceed with your desired product
  • Sand to 220 grit
    Two coats of dewaxed shellac over the entire project, sanding with 320 in between coats
    Polyurethane or epoxy gloss coat on all areas except for the resin fill area
    Resin fill center last.
Wait 30 days for contact with any food.

If you have a shallow v-groove at the point of intersection of finishes, it will help them blend in better, it will be a barrier to keep your finish from the rest of the plate away from the resin fill area, and likewise help contain the resin when you fill the center.

Looking forward to the finished piece.