Vcarve Help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
davidclosson2
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom A4 Pro

Vcarve Help

Post by davidclosson2 »

Hello,

Total newbie, just got my CNC router up and running this weekend. I was just trying some thin with the v bit and have some questions. What makes the determination if the machine carves in the letters or leaves them in relief? I made a few signs. On two it carved in relief and on the third it just did a simple plunge carve. I don't recall doing anything differently. As I said total newbie

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Re: Vcarve Help

Post by joeporter »

V Carve is looking for a closed vector. The first closed vector it comes to is what it starts v-carving. If it is a complicated design you may want to run a simulation and see how it looks. If it is not carving as you would like, add a closed vector around the whole job like a rectangle or circle and see how it looks now. There have been tutorials in the past explaining this operation but I don't know if they have been superseded by later tutorials explaining more current versions of V-Carve. Look at the V-Carve training examples and add or remove boundary vectors and see what differences you get...joe

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Explaining it another way: If you have a single closed vector (like a rectangle or circle) around the text, and it is selected along with the text for the toolpath, the letters will be carved in relief. If only the text is selected, they will be VCarved into the material.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

davidclosson2

Post by davidclosson2 »

That is what I thought, but on the one where it carved into the letters and did not leave them in relief there is a closed rectangle around them, two in fact. One is off set, exactly the same as the other sign where it carved in relief...puzzling

I just re ran the tool paths and made sure the vectors were closed. I did the same in preview

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

It could be that the day is old and I am getting tired, but I just don't understand what you are saying - in relief.

Can you post pictures and/or the crv file - as long as there are no copyrighted models.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Leo says a screen shot or the actual crv file (copyright permitting ) is a great help when trying to answer questions for people :lol:

There are a few tutorials that cover vcarving, this is one of them, good idea if you are new to the software to put some time to one side & start studying the tutorials, start with the basics & build as you progress :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... 20toolpath

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It does sound to me though that one of the rectangles really isn't a closed vector although it may look like it or the letter within is touching the rectangle at some point. Try the Select All Open Vectors command on the Edit menu to see if the rectangles are closed or not.

As has been said posting the file will get you the exact answer within minutes.

davidclosson2

Post by davidclosson2 »

Thanks folks It was an open vector..I got it now. I appreciate the responses.