Engraving 1.58mm X 2 ply U/Matte Acrylic

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mac
Model of CNC Machine: Woodmans GM 1212

Engraving 1.58mm X 2 ply U/Matte Acrylic

Post by mac »

I want to make some name plates using the above material. I selected single line font and tried a 9 degree, sharp pointed bit. Using the profile "on" the line toolpath. When I calculate the toolpath it shows in the 3D view but when I try to view the toolpath the image does not show. I did a trial cut and find I have to edit all the words as the letters are too close together. Letters are 5mm x 0.8mm deep. I checked some previous V carve letter work and it shows ok.
I am running Aspire V9.9. Any one have any hints?
regards, Mac.

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Re: Engraving 1.58mm X 2 ply U/Matte Acrylic

Post by rsetina »

Could it be that the 9 degree bit is so narrow that in the image the cuts can't be seen unless you zoom in on the image? You can ungroup the letters and adjust the spacing between them using one of the tools in the drawing section. It's the icon with and arrow and the AB on a curved line next to the T in a box. Edit Text Spacing and Curve is it's name. I found you have to ungroup the letters in the text to edit the spacing.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

mac
Model of CNC Machine: Woodmans GM 1212

Post by mac »

I found that I had to enlarge the font to get a decent image. It is an absolute pain having to go through 57 labels to change the text spacing. I am seriously thinking of using Ariel true font and reducing the depth of cut. I will still have to space some of the text.
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Mac

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you tried increasing the toolpath preview resolution ? That can help with you not being able to see it. Unfortunately it won't help with the letter spacing :lol: :lol:
If your cutting a 2 ply laminate then you don't have a lot of control over the depth you cut to so changing either the font or the engraving bit can often be quicker than trying to re space the text, I use my signmaking software if I have a lot of work to do with text but that obviously doesn't help you :lol: :lol: