Creating a vertical tool path

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
doublem
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ross cnc

Creating a vertical tool path

Post by doublem »

I am trying to get my spindle to cut a semi circle vertically. Imagine cutting a slot for a cd disk to fit snugly >
Ant ideas out there?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Creating a vertical tool path

Post by highpockets »

Something like this?
Image 002.png
Image 003.png
Try the "Fluting" toolpath.
John
Maker of Chips

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

I'm curious about how deep you want the slot to be cut? You'd have to cut pretty deep for a CD and I'd be interested in the tool you'd use to cut the deep.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I believe the fluting toolpath cuts more of an elliptical path than a circular arc. You can use the moulding toolpath with half circle (or smaller fraction of a circle) and a very short guide rail to make a true circular slot. Be sure and use the Larger area clearance option if the slot is very deep.

doublem
Vectric Apprentice

Post by doublem »

I HAD BETTER COME CLEAN :D
I am trying to add a hot wire to my gantry to make aeroplane wings. I may have to go to other software but most of it is for 4 axis foam cutting machines.
I intend to manipulate the wire assembly to create tapers and such like. So I was looking for a short cut with Vectric software. Hears hoping,

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Vectric doesn't support moving 4 axies at once
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

doublem
Vectric Apprentice

Post by doublem »

I am aware of that.
My plan is to use a bar with a how wire suspended to move along the y axis with the bar across the table and the x moving fwd in and arc . Only using the 3 axis

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Post by rsetina »

I've seen foam airplane wings being cut out with a wire before, but the wire is as long as the wing itself and very thin so not much current is needed to make the wire hot enough to cut the foam. This was when I was a young teenager so I'm remembering the process 35 years ago. The wings where for gliders and where tapered thinner at the tips.

I'm trying to see your setup from your description of the bar and wire. I assume there will be two bars at either end of the X axis with a wire going between them. Are the wings the same thickness from end to end? I can see where you are going with this. It's an interesting experiment. I hope you can make it work.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

doublem...
Assuming that you machine does not support arcs in the G18/19 planes and your wing is not an arc there is a way.

Draw the profile to be cut in the XY plane. Make sure that it has no arcs or arc segments. Toolpath. In the gcode file, swap the X or Y for the Z to change your profile to a vertical plane
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

OK now I put this on the edge so you could see the cut. I personally don't have the tooling to cut this. The cut in the photo is half a CD, if this is what you wanted to do I can include the file and a further explanation.
cd cut.jpg
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

doublem wrote:I HAD BETTER COME CLEAN :D
I am trying to add a hot wire to my gantry to make aeroplane wings. I may have to go to other software but most of it is for 4 axis foam cutting machines.
I intend to manipulate the wire assembly to create tapers and such like. So I was looking for a short cut with Vectric software. Hears hoping,
I've manually cut a lot of foam wings for my scratch-built RC models - but that has been over 20 years ago. I made my own hot wire cutter using aluminum square tubing, springs, wires, screws, etc. and a homemade footswitch with a transformer from Radio Shack providing the voltage to the wire.

Conventional "old-school" was make plywood templates (polished, smooth edges) for the root chord and tip, affix them to each end of a foam block and draw the wire through the foam whilst resting the wire on the two end templates and regulating the heat of the wire (in real-time while pulling the wire) using the footswitch on/off.

If you've done this yourself, you know if it's a tapered and/or swept wing, it's a bit tricky to get the "feel" for drawing the wire over the templates (and through the foam) at the right speed. Too slow - the wire melts divots/lines in the foam...too fast, you introduce distortion into the wing contour. You also have to vary the speed at an angle (moving a little faster over the longer root chord template) so the wire exits the foam in a straight line at exactly the same time from both templates at the trailing edge of the wing.

I've never seen a commercial CNC foam cutter in-person. I would certainly like to see one set up specifically for cutting wings and learn how they work, how they get the wire temp just right, and how the angled speed compensation is made for tapered/swept wings between the root chord and tip ends.

I'm very interested in your plans to rig your CNC for cutting foam wings using 3 axes. Rooting for you!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

doublem
Vectric Apprentice

Post by doublem »

Ooops . Got a threat warning trying to download jedcust.
Thanks for everyone interest and input. Really want to make it happen since I started model flying again.
Cheers for now

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Well, you got me digging in old photo albums looking for my old RC aircraft photos. Could only find a few - probably the majority are in the attic in a box somewhere.

Judging by how I look in the photo, it was over 30 years ago I got into building. All of them are equipped with foam wings I cut myself. The space shuttle delta wing was cut in six sections - that was a bear to figure out!

Not a single one of the over 20 models I built had any horizontal stabilizer! Only wings and rudder. Very stable - almost impossible to stall. (Except the shuttle - it flew like a brick - too heavy and underpowered. I donated it to a local children's library to hang from the ceiling after I was done playing with it!)
Attachments
collage-of-a-few-RC-aircraft-by-Michael-T.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Nicely done, mtylerfl. I remember the day when motors burned gas rather than electricity, and there was a Space Shuttle making regular trips to the space station. ;)