Is this an anomaly with Two-Sided?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Is this an anomaly with Two-Sided?

Post by garylmast »

I thought I would make a Merry-Go-Round for one of the kids, so using clipart supplied in V9, I laid it out and duplicated on the opposite side, where everything seem okay until I did the toolpath preview. All the models are the same height (both sides), but as shown in the picture, the last two models don't cut through and the finish was off.

So I could get the Tabs and Limit planes, I first imported a stl model, then deleted it. Is there a better way to achieve that procedure? Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Is this an anomaly with Two-Sided?

Post by mtylerfl »

garylmast wrote:
So I could get the Tabs and Limit planes, I first imported a stl model, then deleted it. Is there a better way to achieve that procedure? Gary
I don't understand why you had to delete an STL model prior to get your planes and tabs.

BTW, a future Project of the Month will somewhat resemble your project - just a heads up so you don't think I'm "copying" you!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I don't understand why you had to delete an STL model prior to get your planes and tabs.

BTW, a future Project of the Month will somewhat resemble your project - just a heads up so you don't think I'm "copying" you!
When I created a new double side job, and then added my clipart, I didn't get the planes and tabs. I didn't get the overcut distance either. Knowing I get them when I imported a 3-D model is why I brought one in and then deleted it. Is there a better way (without having me think to hard)? Gary
What future Project of the Month are your referring to?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Gary

Watch Beki's King Chess Piece video tutorial. It describes the process in the simplest way possible.

I'm referring to the Vectric Project of the Month (ya know - the free ones I design each month)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Gary,

Do you have just one toolpath to cut out all the horses or separate toolpaths. If each set is a separate toolpath, then look at the for the horses in question.

How did you create the model boundary vectors?
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Gary

Here is the link to that tutorial:

ONLINE VIEWING at
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... deo_id=102

LOCAL VIEWING (if you are already upgraded to Aspire 9) at
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vectric Files\Tutorial Files\Aspire V9.0\King_Chess_Piece\King_Chess_Piece_3D_Modeling.html

It will explain the "how-to" for you
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I watched the video, which answered my question about planes and tabs levels and undercut. However, I think the easiest was do to what I did and bring in a 3-D model and then delete it, setting the levels and undercut at the start. Other then drawing and modeling my component, I used the clipart and then mirrored it. Everything aliened up great.

To answer Highpockets question, the only vectors used were for the dowel holes. For the toolpaths, I used a 3mm end mill for the roughing and a 3mm ball for the finished, using the select level "Model" for the Boundary Offset. I set .120" as an undercut at the start, knowing I was going to use a 3mm mill.

Each component on both sides are exactly the same height. To insure the last two horses wasn't screwed-up, I deleted both sides and mirrored the first set of horses, then checked the heights again. I still get the same problem. I could create vectors around the last horses and do a profile cut, but I would rather find out what the problem is. Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Gary

Assuming all your settings and depths are correct, Try this...

Go to your Material Setup and slide the Gap Above Material slider up and down two or three times randomly. Then return it to where you want it. Then recalculate the Toolpaths.

Please let me know if it makes any difference (i.e., fixes the problem).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Go to your Material Setup and slide the Gap Above Material slider up and down two or three times randomly. Then return it to where you want it. Then recalculate the Toolpaths.
The model position was set in center on both sides, but I did slide it up and down several times and reset it to center, with .01" gap both sides. After recalculation, I got the same result.

I double checked the height on all the tabs and model components, which are the correct height. However when I unchecked the Limit Plane, something really strange showed up, which showed short, of the models. I deleted limited plane and re-did a zero plane on both sides, resetting them to a -0.12". That solved the problem.

Thinking back, when I first imported the 3-D model, the material length was shorter then the new job causing the limit plane to be off.

Thanks for your help. Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, Gary

That's great news you discovered and fixed the problem. Your description about how it happened is very helpful.

It's a good reminder for me/us of what to watch out for when auto-sized zero planes are created early in the job - a detail easy to miss when upsizing the job material later in the layout process.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Hi Gary,

I just to wanted to point out a couple of tools that could help in future doing things like this, That way, if you want to make changes to your model, you don't need to make it 8 times. The array copy toolpath has the additional advantage of maintaining a high model resolution by keeping the material size close to your model size, with the down side of not being able to see a simulation of the copies).

I hope this helps in the future (I know it's completely irrelevant to this topic's problem)

Mohamed
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Great Tips, Mohamed!

Thank you
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Thanks Mohamed,

Just shows me how much studying I have to do to learn V9!!!

By the way, Mohamed's post shows something else new. The ability to link to a page/topic in the manual. Also a new feature of V9. Had not snapped to that either.
John
Maker of Chips

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Thanks for the tip Mohamed.