Lilly Leaf Molding Tutorial

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Lilly Leaf Molding Tutorial

Post by ohiolyons »

Just refreshing myself with the tutorials because of Version 9. While watching the Lilly Leaf Tutorial I noticed a possible change. In the past I was told that the modeling resolution was fixed at time of creation and could not be changed. In the updated version tutorial they opening an existing file and then change the modeling resolution.

1) Was my understanding of changing the modeling resolution wrong in the first place?

2) Is this a V9 change?

3) Is this a gray area where the file opened didn't have any 3-D elements so you can change the resolution?

4) Does the modeling resolution only become fixed when you create your first 3-D component?

The current v 9 HTML manual under JOB SETUP, MODELING RESOLUTION does not address this. The printed V 8 I have also doesn't address this. I remember a seminar speaker saying model resolution is fixed and can't be changed.

John
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Lilly Leaf Molding Tutorial

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi John

Resolution doesn't matter if a file is all vectors (as in the part 1 - Lily Leaf Drawing tutorial)

You are correct that the resolution setting you want must be set before the introduction of any models in a project. Imported models will "inherit" the job resolution settings and any new models that you create will be made at the current job resolution setting.

If you change the resolution to a higher amount after that, there is no benefit because the existing models are already "locked in" to the resolution you had when the models were imported or created.

That's why Beki increased the resolution immediately before creating any models in part 2 of the Lily Leaf tutorial.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks a great response and one I understand, it it makes sense.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

She did increase it a second time when she created the four panel molding.

So since the model was created at a lower resolution she didn't gain anything by increasing the resolution before she copied it 3 times?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

ohiolyons wrote:She did increase it a second time when she created the four panel molding.

So since the model was created at a lower resolution she didn't gain anything but increasing the resolution before she copied it 3 times?
The model resolution itself did not change from the original.

However, because she increased the Job Size, the benefit to increasing the Job Resolution is to "pack" more pixels into the overall job itself. If she didn't do that, the set of models would be pixelated due to the job pixels being spread out over a larger area. This would result in a poor rendition of the models.

Increasing the overall Job Resolution allows that model to retain its quality within the job, but the resolution of the set of models did not change.

Confused yet? :D

I can confuse you some more! In the new version 9, when you import an external STL model into a job with a high resolution setting, that model will now come in at the high resolution. (Prior to this, an imported STL model did not come in at a high resolution.) Of course, the resulting quality is still dependent upon the triangulation accuracy of the original STL.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Thanks again, either I'm getting better asking the questions or you're one of the best explainers ever!!!
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

You asked very good questions!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

dougsshed
Model of CNC Machine: i2R A.24, rotary axis & OPT 15W laser

Post by dougsshed »

Hey guys,

I've just finished watching the EO6A & B Lily Molding (not the one with Beki) and, with a laptop playing the tutorial and my desktop beside it with Aspire 9, I've followed the tutorial right through and produced what appears to be the exact result on Aspire as per the tutorial. It all looks the same.

However, I'm having trouble creating a toolpath. My previous experience is all with VCarve Pro, so doing 3D stuff is not something I'm familiar with. Is there something different about this type of project compared with VCarve Pro?

Regards
Doug

dougsshed
Model of CNC Machine: i2R A.24, rotary axis & OPT 15W laser

Post by dougsshed »

Cancel that.....all good :-)