V9 trial version has my 8.5 file hostage

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: V9 trial version has my 8.5 file hostage

Post by dealguy11 »

It's been a long time since I used the trial version, but I seem to remember that if you save a file in it, the file can only be opened in the trial version, and can't be opened even if you purchase the full version. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's true, you may have to send it off to Vectric Support to get it converted back into something that will open.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

You can open and use a saved file from the trial version in the licenced version if installed on the same PC.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

It is always a good policy to never work on a file with something new unless you are working on a copy.

Heck, it only took me about 10 years to learn that, and I wrote software for a living! 8)
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

4dThinker - thanks for that clarification. TReischl - I developed software, too, and I apparently still haven't learned that lesson! Seems like every time I get a beta of something I have to learn it again....but those new features are so tempting!
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

Here is what I believe is/was the mistake. In 2014, I used and made files in V8 trial version, purchased it and it was all there. My mistake, was using a V8 file to practice with V9 but I should not have saved it in trial version9. I will be upgrading soon so I will get it back. From the pop up, it seems that you can use older files on newer software but not the other way around. Could be a security precaution.
Thank you for your help.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I opened 8.5 files with the V9 trial before I bought it, but since I've been using VCarve since version 4 I habitually save-as my trial file and add V9 to the file name. That left my 8.5 file alone in case I had decided not to upgrade.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Everybody makes mistakes.

Writing stuff into forums will often be misconstrued and misunderstood.

Heck, even professional and highly skilled writers with write stuff that is misconstrued.

For that matter - even what I am writing now could be interpreted in a wrong way.

Sooo - there was a bunch of misunderstanings typed in here. I call that - er - human nature, but, yes, we are all friends.

Come on over to my place on August 12 and have a burger and a soft drink and watch the kids play in the pool and the guys can go play in the shop. Coffee is on me.

Either way - Vectric support can help us.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

Leo- I would be there if I could. Make sure to post details- I would read or watch
Here is an aside for my "friends" here- What if I posted a "Go Fund Me Page" so that I can generate $400 to get back my captive file?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Desert_Woodworker wrote:Here is what I believe is/was the mistake. In 2014, I used and made files in V8 trial version, purchased it and it was all there. My mistake, was using a V8 file to practice with V9 but I should not have saved it in trial version9. I will be upgrading soon so I will get it back. From the pop up, it seems that you can use older files on newer software but not the other way around. Could be a security precaution.
Thank you for your help.
It's not a security precaution & also doesn't apply to just vectric software. When new versions are released they contain new features & changes that simply aren't in the older version of the software :lol:

Good to hear it's all sorted now though :lol: :lol:

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

Thank you Martin- I get a kick when you post those smiley faces, only you can do it correctly - Why did my post only get 3 Smileys? Safe to say I've paid the "kings" ransom and my file has come home unmolested...... :D
Thanks guys

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Desert_Woodworker wrote:Thank you Martin- I get a kick when you post those smiley faces, only you can do it correctly - Why did my post only get 3 Smileys? Safe to say I've paid the "kings" ransom and my file has come home unmolested...... :D
Thanks guys
Just remember to keep your file somewhere safe, you will need it again when the trial version of V10 is released :lol: :lol: :lol:

Problem with the internet is that it's just words on a screen, there is no tone & no body language. People can often interpret what was written the wrong way so I tend to stick smiley faces everywhere in the hope that people don't take what I post the wrong way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Martin,

I take offense at the number of smilys that you post

NOT
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I am always being told I have a grumpy face, think when I was made they put my head on upside down. Just trying to make up for the lack of a smiley face in real like lol

No smileys on this post just for you Leo

:lol: :lol: NOT