V9 trial version has my 8.5 file hostage

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

V9 trial version has my 8.5 file hostage

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

V9 has me held hostage! During a trial exercise, I imported a file from V8.5 and made some changes and saved. I tried to access the file, with 8.5 but I will need V9 to do so. I NEED these files! There should have been a “Notice-warning” before saving.
Question how do I get my file back

rsetina
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 2.0

Re: V9 trial version has my 8.5 file hostage

Post by rsetina »

Most of the time if not all the time, when you open a file using a newer version of a program, the new program changes the file in such a way that the file can't be opened by an earlier version of the software. If you didn't make a back up copy of the file, you may have lost it, unless you upgrade to V9. Sorry for the bad news, unless there's a way to go back to the older version of the file.
Rick

Shark HD 2.0

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It wouldn't really be practical to have a warning displayed every time a file is saved that it can't be opened with an older version of the software. If you're running a newer version of Windows then if you right click on the file and select Previous Versions you <b>may</b> able to roll back to the 8.5 version.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Not sure, but can you at least export the vectors as a DXF in the trial version? Then open them in 8.5?

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Just curious.

If you have V9 - why not just do your work in V9

Why do you want to go back to V8.5?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Because it's the trial version, not the purchased version.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

Thanks for the replies- DFX is disabled in the trial version.... My guess is it is to prevent someone from "stealing" V9- I was not trying to "jack" the new version. Let this be a lesson to others.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

dealguy11 wrote:Because it's the trial version, not the purchased version.
Ohhh - I should have picked up on that.

Perhaps vectric support can re-save it as v8.5
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I think "hostage" is a little harsh - As stated, almost all older programs will and can not open newer versions.
Ever heard of the term "forwards compatible" ? Neither have I, and that is because it is impossible to design such a program.

You made a mistake, I realize it may be frustrating but you ought to own up to your own mistakes, that is how one grows older and wiser and doesn't keep repeating mistakes. You could have simply given the file a new name, even added a single character when saving, then you would not have had this problem. You overwrote it with new data, and that leaves you in the position of needing the program that wrote the data to modify it.
Doug

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

Xxray wrote:I think "hostage" is a little harsh - As stated, almost all older programs will and can not open newer versions.
Ever heard of the term "forwards compatible" ? Neither have I, and that is because it is impossible to design such a program.

You made a mistake, I realize it may be frustrating but you ought to own up to your own mistakes, that is how one grows older and wiser and doesn't keep repeating mistakes. You could have simply given the file a new name, even added a single character when saving, then you would not have had this problem. You overwrote it with new data, and that leaves you in the position of needing the program that wrote the data to modify it.
You opinions to me are useless. Are you a Vectric Wizard of Shame? I am really surprised to receive this type of attack on a forum of this magnitutde-
To others: I did not come here to attack Vetric9 Just looking and learning.

ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TBD

Post by ctbjdm »

@Desert_Woodworker - if you'd like help and are willing to send me your v9 file I can save it as a DXF if that helps (registered v9 here).

J m -@- computertoolbox .com

(Remove - and spaces).

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I'm with Leo, I'd contact Vectric Support.

I tried the "Restore previous version" on one of my v8.5 files after saving with v9. It didn't work.
John
Maker of Chips

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Well add me to the list of dismally stupid people who tried V9 with and old file and then robotically hit save.

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

Thanks guys- I am planning to purchase. This was probably a mistake on my part for downloading an 8.5 – practice some two sided features on 9 but saved it on 9.
I am planning on purchasing soon. I hope other people don’t make this mistake
As far as I am concerned this is closed, for me- but to those who tried to help, thanks again.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Desert_Woodworker wrote:
Xxray wrote:I think "hostage" is a little harsh - As stated, almost all older programs will and can not open newer versions.

You opinions to me are useless. Are you a Vectric Wizard of Shame? I am really surprised to receive this type of attack on a forum of this magnitutde-
To others: I did not come here to attack Vetric9 Just looking and learning.
Attack ? Sheesh excuse me, I thought we were all adults here.

You are the one who made your mistake public - You don't get to select who replies, and you can't expect all gentle rubs on the back.

Saying "hostage" in the post title implies criminality and is borderline slanderous, the whole episode is an error on your part, not a money making scam from Vectric.
Doug